Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi. Three days ago I had blood drawn from forearm. When the

Hi. Three days ago I had blood drawn from forearm. When the phlebotomist inserted the needle I felt a lot of pain (I had not felt pain before with this type of procedures) but not that much as to stop the procedure. Three tubes were taken and in the second one, blood stopped flowing for a moment but then flowed normally. During that day I had a feeling of numbness in that arm and even into the fingers. Next day the feeling decreased but today (third day) I feel arm and hand numb again. No bruises are seen but I am afraid that something wrong could be going on. I've been told that it was a nerve that could have been damaged so my questions are 1) if this nerve damage can be permanent/ how do I know/are there symptoms? and 2) if I should be thinking of something else like a blood clot that could have consequences in the future (because of the fact that blood stopped flowing for a while during procedure) and again, what would be the symptoms/is it something that should be developing immediately or a slow developing ailment?
Thanks for your time and advice of how to proceed!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

1. Yes it does seem like the nerve close to the blood vessel got hit during blood draw.

Dr. D.J. :

THis is not a permanent nerve injury.

Dr. D.J. :

However, nerve injury takes some time to get better.

Dr. D.J. :

Hence, you may note these symptoms persisting for 2-3 weeks.

Dr. D.J. :

usually the symptoms will gradually reduce in intensity.

Dr. D.J. :

In the unlikely event of more severe nerve damage, your current symptoms will worsen.

Dr. D.J. :

And you may develop weakness of the forearm or the fingers--creating problem with gripping or lifting objects.

Dr. D.J. :

But this is very unlikely from blood draw related nerve injury.

Dr. D.J. :

2. Blood clot is unlikely.

Dr. D.J. :

The may stop flowing if there is no enough anticoagulant in the blood drawing tube.

Dr. D.J. :

Sometimes,clod tubes can cause blood flow problem.

Dr. D.J. :

Kinky tube also can stop blood flow.

Dr. D.J. :

These are most common technical problems.

Dr. D.J. :

Rarely, if your blood cells are very high in number which can be checked by a complete blood count that can cause sluggish blood flow.

Dr. D.J. :

But that is unlikely condition and can be ruled out by ordering a complete blood count.

Dr. D.J. :

So at this point, you do not need to worry about anything.

Dr. D.J. :

In case your symptoms worsen, then you need to consult with a neurologist for nerve conduction study and also hand physical therapy.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thank u very much!!!! One more question that came up. Can I continue to do my daily activities and go to gym and lift some weght?

Dr. D.J. :

Yes you can --that should not be a problem.

Customer:

Thanks again! Your answer is very reassuring. I was afraid this could be something silent that could bring me serious problems afterwards. This hadn't happended to me before and I've had a lot of samples taken! =)

Dr. D.J. :

Please do not worry.

Dr. D.J. :

THis is a common complicatino of blodo draw.

Dr. D.J. :

this is a common complication of blood draw.

Dr. D.J. :

Nothing serious.

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will =)

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Customer:

Just one more thing....(maybe nagging) so if symptoms worsen, the only possible thing would be nerve damage? nothing else I should be looking for? thanks again =S

Dr. D.J. :

Yes correct

Customer:

Ok, great! u are very kind!

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome