Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my husband has just got up shaved dressed and it is only 3am

my husband has just got up shaved dressed and it is only 3am this is the second time he has done this in less than a week.
His blood pressure has been very high and then back down again
He is 84 years old but has remained very well up to this time
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification:
Is his level of orientation worse when the blood pressure is high and then better when the blood pressure decreases?
When the blood pressure came down quickly from the 222/93, how low did it get?
Which blood pressure medicine was prescribed?
Does he have any other medical problems?
Is he taking any other medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do think he is worse when the bp is high The BP came down to 173/90 The other medical problem he has is ulcers in his tummy he takes omepresol

I had not heard back from the last request for further information.

If his episodes of confusion are worse when his blood pressure is elevated, the usual first step would be to control the blood pressure. His doctor probably started an appropriate medicine to achieve this, but I asked which blood pressure medicine was prescribed to confirm this.

There are also a couple of other issues to consider that may be contributing to the development of these episodes in the middle of the night. Some people get a drop in their blood sugar in the middle of the night, and this can contribute to confusion in the middle of the night. These people will typically no longer have the low blood sugar when seen by the doctor, so lab work done in the office will typically not detect the problem. Using a home monitor to check blood sugar during these episodes is the usual method for detecting this problem. Another consideration would be the possibility of sleep apnea, which can contribute to high blood pressure and also can cause a drop in oxygen levels, which can contribute to confusion.

If the blood pressure medicine controls the blood pressure and he has no further episodes, then there is no reason to consider further evaluation, but if the high blood pressure or episodes of confusion persist, evaluation for these other conditions would be appropriate.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.