Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
25897591

I think my brother has bipolar but he wont go to a doctor.

Customer Question

I think my brother has bipolar but he won't go to a doctor. What can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Monica replied 3 years ago.

I am sure you are concerned about your brother. He may in fact have some type of mental illness and would need evaluation from a family doctor or a psychiatrist to help make the diagnosis. But you cannot force him to get this assessment if he is not willing. However, if he is at risk of harming himself or others, then you can get law enforcement involved so that he is forced to seek treatment. But usually this is the only way you can force him. Otherwise, usually showing your support and perhaps providing him with some information about mental health illness (I don't suggest you get specific about bipolar unless you are sure he has this). If he is depressed (but not suicidal) then make sure to let him know that you just have his best interests in mind and that you want him to get better from this treatable illness.

Hope that helps.