DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My sister has flown to Brazil for her sons wedding . I have

My sister has flown to Brazil for her sons wedding . I have just received texts from her saying she cant stop crying and hasnt slept. She says she cant really speak. Ihave tried to contact her daughter who is also there but cant get hold of her. My sister has a history of depression and am worried that she needs help and not to be alone. What can i do to help?
Jane
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

I'm very sorry about this

Can you try contacting the son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Idont have any contact info for him.

What about calling local ambulance?

It's extreme but if her life is in danger
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No idea how i do that as dont know where she is. Ineed to know what best to say to help her. Not necessarily thinking she is suicidal, but def v distressed.

I think you need to just keep reaching out to her and anyone that you can contact

You need to speak to her at all costs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I prob need to have advice from a mental health specialist.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I handle this type of thing all the time and I am a double board certified us doctor with a degree in mental health as well.

What questions do you still have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just want to know what is the best thing to say to her to help her through this, given we are texting at least. Hopefully will get hold of daughter but in the meantime...what do you suggest?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
First of all do you know why she is upset?
Any details?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really any detail from her. She finds change and social situations difficult somtimes and has been planning and looking forward to the wedding for a year. I know she was worried about meeting brides family i think she is prob completely overwhelmed, and maybe somthing has gone wrong there. She now says she just wants to come home. May be a good idea if she can cope with the journey..........

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Have you suggested that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is on her way home now.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Very good.

Is there another question I can answer for you?
Just use reply.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.