Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A 2cm tumour (not known if benign or cancerous) in kidney -

Customer Question

A 2cm tumour (not known if benign or cancerous) in kidney - is it any way connected to spots discovered on the liver
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what sort of scan was done on the kidney and can you tell me anything more about the liver spots?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

it sounds like if your doctors are recommending to have the tumor removed in your kidney, the kidney tumor most likely is looking like a renal cell carcinoma which is the most common type of kidney cancer to grow from the kidney.

small spots in the liver are very common and most of the time, these small spots in the liver are benign hemangiomas.

however, if the spots are large or take up contrast, there is always a small chance that they could be metastatic from the renal cell carcinoma.

you will need a biopsy of the liver lesions to know for sure if the spots in the liver are metastatic from the kidney cancer.

hopefully this is not the case.

the size of the liver spots and if the boarders of the liver spots are smooth or regular can give a bit more information about what these liver lesions are.

an an MRI scan of the liver would probably be the best one scan to tell what the liver spots are.

best of luck on your kidney surgery.

let me know if you have questions.