DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Several weeks ago, I experienced symptoms similar to a TIA.

Several weeks ago, I experienced symptoms similar to a TIA. I went to hospital and tests determined that I had not suffered a Stroke. Four weeks on and I am now experiencing Rocking Vertigo, Sharp/Electric Shock type pain to the top of my head (occasionally) whch is a frightening experience, Tension and Pressure to my head on and off. Does this sound serious? Please help. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

do you have a history of excessive anxiety symptoms?

excessive anxiety or panic attacks can cause vertigo symptoms and sharp electrical shock type pains in the head and tension and pressure headaches.

are you taking any medications?

do you drink caffeine?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician [hands on medical doctor] of over 20 years experience. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

This can not be said to be anxiety based on your story.
In fact there are many possible reasons for this.

This can in fact be
Migraine
Cervical spine problems
Brain problem [far more rare, but aneurysm for example, or tumor].
Atypical seizure.

Clutser headache, tension headache and other headache forms.

O would not ever call this anxiety until you have had a complete headache work up, which can be from an internist or neurologist.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Thomas

My symptoms are reducing, rather than increasing. When lying down and resting, I barely have any symptoms. I do not have actual headaches, just these painful shooting electric shock type pain to my head. It doesn't happen every day. When it occur in any given day, it is usually only once. I have no nausea, no vomiting, no uncordinated muscle movements. Balance is ok. The intense pressure feeling is reducing. I do have experienced Migraine. I have family history of both severe Migraine/
Vertigo . Please can you give me your opinion on this. Thank you. Kind Regards.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hi You are welcome anytime for any questions
Vertigo can be from
inner ear problem; most common and an ENT doctor is the specialist to see.
Heart problem, such as a rhythm problem
Brain problem such as tumor, seizure, etc.
Problem with the autonomic nervous system.

That is the basic differential that needs to be considered.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
aDear Dr Thomas

Thank you for your reply and for your time.
Based on the symptoms I have described, and the fact that my symptoms appear to be reducing as opposed to increasing, is this medically a good sign? If in fact it was a rare case of a brain tumor causing the symptoms, would you expect my symptoms to be increasing
rather than decreasing? I have no other associated brain tumor symptoms. I do suffer from anxiety answer stress. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is not consistent with brain tumor.
This is a good sign.
It is consistent with migraine or tension headache mostly, and possibly problems in the neck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Thomas.
Thank you so much for your time and for your help. Please may I ask for your help with MAV related question. I have read that there is a form of malignant migraine associated vertigo. Would this be in
the form of a cancerous tumor? If so , in what part of the brain would it likely to be located? Would there be any other symptoms apart from migraine associated vertigo ? Also,
with MAV (non cancerous) how long can chronic vertigo last for? Does it take a long time for the brain to reset itself? Is tere any meds to help with this? Thank you so much. Kind Regards Lynsey.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
This would not be cancer
As long as your neuro exam is OK.
Cancer can easily be ruled out by your doctor, particularly with an MRI scan.