Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, My Partner has been suffering from abdominal pains and

Customer Question

My Partner has been suffering from abdominal pains and bloating for around 3 weeks.
On monday, the pain was so severe we went to hospital. After blood & urine tests, she was diagnosed with IBS and also with a bladder infection.
The doctor prescribed CO-AMOXICLAV (500/125mg x 21) for a 5 day course for the infection. The cramping pain subsided for around 40 hours, however today the pain is extremely intense.
She has vomited 6 times in a 4 hour window. (Mainly when trying to eat or drink).
She is unaware if she has an allergy to Penicillin; but has not developed any rashes or difficulty in breathing.
Is the vomiting a side effect of the course of the antibiotics? I am wondering if another antibiotics course other than CO-AMOXICLAV would reduce the side effects, or is this possibly due to the IBS itself?

The doctor has not recommended a FODMAP diet as of yet, but we have been avoiding insoluble fibres / caffeinated /high in fat foods.

Any advice is appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

this sounds like it is quite serious with her symptoms of abdominal pains and bloating and nausea and vomitting.

Dr. David :

sometimes antibiotics can upset the stomach, but usually it doesn't cause vomitting.

Dr. David :

I am worried that she could have a small bowel obstruction or diverticulosis or diverticulitis bowel infection

Dr. David :

or she could even have appendicitis.

Dr. David :

I think she needs to go back to the hospital and get an abdominal CT scan to check for small bowel obstruction and appendicitis.

Dr. David :

it is not normal for antibiotics to be causing vomiting like this.

Dr. David :

did they do an abdominal xray before?

Customer:

Ok, she was checked for appendicitis, but only by touch, not X-ray. My concern is that the pain reduced for 40 hours. When I asked her, the pain level was '0', on a scale of 0 - 10. Would the obstruction be more likely to cause intermittent pain or consistent? Or is it just down to the individual?

Dr. David :

both appendicitis and obstruction can cause pain which comes and goes.

Dr. David :

in either case, she shouldn't be vomitting 6 times in a 4 hour window.

Dr. David :

the pain now is 0 out of 10?

Dr. David :

you said her pain came back extremely intense today?

Customer:

I agree with the small bowel obstruction, I just wanted to ensure the antibiotics could be temporarily ruled out of the issue. She has just rested and her pain level has reduced to 1

Dr. David :

I am not sure what sort of infection the antibiotics are even treating at this point.

Dr. David :

antibiotics are used so often when doctors have no idea what might be going on,

Dr. David :

and when there is not a clear source of infection.

Dr. David :

this is how antibiotic resistant bacteria come into being.

Dr. David :

I guess the antibiotics are for the bladder infection.

Dr. David :

but I think the abdominal pain and bloating and vomitting are not related to the bladder infection.

Customer:

I will get her off to have a CT scan ASAP. The infection was urinary tract infection. She was cleared from an STI test to rule out this.

Customer:

I agree, I believe these are unrelated, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you very much for the assistance, I will get her off now thank you!

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and her.