Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Good morning My name is Tracy. I live in Botswana. My daughter,

Good morning
My name is Tracy. I live in Botswana. My daughter, Vivienne, is 19 years old and is currently doing a gap year in Durham uk as a teachers assistant. She has been showing all the signs and symptoms of depression. Crying easily, feeling low, not wanting to socialize, wanting to stay in her room and sleep, weight gain. This is not new to her. She has struggled in the past. We have been the route of exercise and good eating. there is a history of depression in the family. My father (her grandfather) was institutionalized at one stage and I myself have successfully been on antidepressants (Fluoxetine) for a number of years now. Viv has visited her local GP in Durham who has given her the number of an organisation called 'talking changes' but has said she must simply persevere with exercise. Exercise is something she has done all her life, so I don't see it making any change. Obviously, as antidepressants have worked so well for me, I am biased towards them. However I would appreciate your advice on whether you think an antidepressant is the route for her. she has tried St. Johns Wort which hasn't made much difference either.
Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I can understand your concern for your daughter.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Yes,the symptoms you have described about your 19 year old daughter,Vivienne seems to be due to depression.All her symptoms directs towards this.

Yes,its time to start the oral anti depressant medication for her.

Cause of depression/anxiety is the body's normal "alarm system," the set of mental and physical mechanisms that allows a person to respond to a threat, tends to be triggered unnecessarily, when there is no danger

She need to consult the psychiatrist/psychologist.The doctor can do various screening tests to know the cause,type,level & degree of depression like:

-Dexamethasone Suppression test
-Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale,
-Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HRSD).

There are many different types of drugs used in the treatment of depression, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), atypical antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).

As she has been doing exercise all her life,tried healthy diet,St. Johns Wort & counselling without much help,its time for her to consult the psychiatrist now for these above described tests & hence the prescription anti depressant medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have your daughter consulted psychiatrist?
Was she prescribed with anti depressants?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert