Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am Diabetic Type II and I have had the bug that is going

Customer Question

I am Diabetic Type II on insulin and I have had the bug that is going around all Sunday night so I started taking Imodium, it didn't work, I didn't eat at all on Monday and had two slices of dried toast on Tuesday. I felt ok on Tuesday just aching ribs from being sick. On Wednesday I felt great then last night I started getting diarrhoea again can the bug return that quick? If so what can I take. Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are a couple of possibilities to consider in this situation.

Yes, it is possible for a viral infection to cause stuttering symptoms, so that it can cause symptoms again after a day or two of feeling better. It is not that it has returned in that time frame; it is more that it never completely left and is causing intermittent symptoms.

However, there are some other common possibilities to consider that can cause diarrhoea. When there is an infection of the gut causing diarrhoea, the good germs of the gut can get flushed out of the system, and this can be a separate cause of diarrhoea even after the infection has cleared. The absence of these germs may only become apparent as the diet is advanced. It is also true that the gut will lose its ability to digest certain foods when there has been a gut infection. This is most often seen as lactose intolerance, but other forms can also occur.

At this point, a common approach is to try to replenish the good germs in the gut, either by eating yoghurt with an active culture or a probiotic supplement. Whether this latest diarrhoea is from stuttering symptoms or from one of these complications of a gut infection, it will typically improve with time and supportive care.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help Dr Love.

You're welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.