Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im a 40 year old women who is generally in good health. Since

Customer Question

I'm a 40 year old women who is generally in good health.
Since Monday I've had sweats through the day and feel nauseous.
I'm bad tempered and feeling faint.
I'm thrown up twice. Any ideas ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will b glad to assist you today.

The most common cause of sweats, nausea, vomiting, and feeling generally bad is a viral infection of the gut, called a viral gastroenteritis. There certainly are other possible causes, but a viral infection is vastly the most likely.

As with other common viral infections, it will typically resolve spontaneously, and the usual approach is supportive care. The Panadol and rest are appropriate. It also is important to be drinking plenty of clear liquids, as clear liquids are typically better tolerated when someone has nausea and vomiting and is also good for maintaining hydration. With these infections, it is common that there is a need for a greater amount of fluid intake. The feeling faint is indicative that you need more fluids. The best fluids are clear fruit juices or sports drinks.

The better medicines for easing nausea and vomiting are only available by prescription, but it is OK to try certain antihistamines, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate. The medicines are primarily marketed for relief of motion sickness, but they also have some potency for easing nausea and vomiting.

If these home interventions provide relief of symptoms and the problem resolve spontaneously over several days, then there is no need for further concern or evaluation. If the symptoms persist or if you cannot achieve adequate fluid intake and the symptoms worsen, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am unable to add more information or reply to the expert.
I feel that it's not gastro and am never faint not have I experienced hot sweats like these.
I'm sorry that the system did not allow you to respond directly.

A viral infection can have a wide variety of manifestations, so it can cause symptoms different than you have felt during previous episodes of gastroenteritis. However, if you feel more certain that it is not a gastroenteritis, then it would be appropriate for you to be seen. There are other infections that can cause these symptoms, such as hepatitis or cholecystitis. There also are some endocrine disorders that can present as significant sweating, such as thyroid disease. There is a long list of conditions that can cause nausea and vomiting, such as gastritis or pancreatitis, but these conditions do not typically cause sweating.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the further information that I provided above, and you have apparently had other technical difficulties. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

This question has appeared again on the Question List, but I do not see any further questions. If you intended to post another question, it did not come through.