Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, I am a 30 year old male with no medical history. About

I am a 30 year old male with no medical history. About 11 days ago did some exercise work outs (which I normally do) where I lie on my back and put my knees together and bring my knees towards my chest so as to work the lower abdomen. After doing these exercises I developed a pain near my anal area, just beneath the coccyx bone. However the pain is more prominent only when urinating or if I strain during a bowel movement. At first it was quite painful but it has gradually reduced over the last week, infact it is no where near what it was before.

A couple of years ago I had non bacterial prostatitis and from time to time i have had flare ups of this however in those instances there are many other symptoms such as pain during urination and/or frequency to urinate, I have not had any of these symptoms on this occaison so I do no think this is a flare up of prostatitis.

My bowel movements have been normal and I have had no urinary symptoms. The only symptom is the slight pain i feel around my coccyx area when urinating so like at the back. I was not aware that these muscles contract during urination. Sometimes I also feel a little bit of pain on my buttock as well and all this is more prevalent on the left side.

Does this sound like a muscluar strain/injury or perhaps proctalia fugax? As I mentioned the pain has reduced a lot and it has been improving over time the last week but there is still a bit a of a dull ache. I have been taking stiz baths also which have helped. Could you please advise?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, this is most likely a muscle strain since it started shortly after performing exercises. There are several muscles that form the floor to the pelvis and support the rectum/anus and the also surround the urethra. These muscles contract during urination and defecation and also contract during any abdominal straining, such as the exercises the exercises that you performed the other day.

Since the pain is already much better, there is no reason to consider doing anything beyond what you are already doing. The pain will typically completely resolve and not cause any ongoing problems or symptoms.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can this type of pain also be caused by straining during defacation so for example if I had not done any exercises, but had been straining during bowel movements could this have also led to the pain? How long will this typically take to heal can it be up to 5-6 weeks? As I mentioned the pain has reduced a lot but is still there. Also how can I know if this is associated to a flare up of prostatitis?

Yes, any form of straining can cause such a muscle strain and similar symptoms.

The time for complete healing can vary significantly, from a couple weeks to a couple months.

On the basis of symptoms, the primary indication that there may be prostatitis would be the presence of urinary symptoms, such as pain or burning with urination. The symptoms from non-infectious prostatitis, though, can be vague, so it may be difficult to differentiate solely from symptoms. If the pain continues to resolve, then there is no reason to be concerned about the possibility of prostatitis.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But I have had prostatitis before and all the symptoms I had then were more unrinary, burning, pain etc. However my question is could this be a flare up of the prostatitis perhaps a mild form which only involved pain in the pelvic region and now the flare up is reducing so the pain is also reducing. The reason I ask is because in the past when I have had flare ups which have come and gone I have had some pain but not much and then after a couple of weeks the flare up goes away and so does the pain.

Of course it could be. Over the internet, we can only say what is more likely, which is that this most likely is a muscle strain, but it is virtually impossible to exclude prostatitis based solely on symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you for your response, what would you advise at this point as the pain has continued to gradually reduce as time has gone on.

As I said above, since the pain is already much better, there is no reason to consider doing anything beyond what you are already doing. The pain will typically completely resolve and not cause any ongoing problems or symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One final question on this, I have been to have a bowel movement today and what I noticed is when I have the bowel movement the pain from the straining is in the same area as the pain when I urinate and I also notice that is predominantly on the left side and some times it radiates as a dull ache to left buttock, does this sound like something muscular? Or does it sound serious?

Yes, it sounds like a muscular problem and does not sound serious, particularly since the overall pattern is that the pain is much better.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delayed response. I was away from my computer. I have one last question can any form of colorectal cancer cause this type of pain that I have described above. I appreciate your help/response.
Yes, it is possible to develop muscle spasm secondary to a cancer growing in the lower colon, but it would be extremely unlikely in someone of your age and it would typically cause persistent symptoms, rather than already being much better.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say persistent symptoms do you mean constant pain or worsening pain as well as some other symptoms such as blood and unusual bowel habits? What would be the most common sign?

I mean pain that persists for months out of the year. There is no sign that is worrisome for a 30 year old. Even symptoms that are worrisome in an older person, such as blood in the stool, is worrisome for other conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I just wanted some clarification, thank you. The pain has continued to reduce but is still there but has significantly improved over the last 10 days. Is it okay to resume my exercises?

It would be OK to gradually resume your exercises, by gradually building up the intensity over several days.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.