Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I am a male age 60 and weigh 94kl..... for the last 2 months

Hi I am a male age 60 and weigh 94kl..... for the last 2 months i have been getting sweats at night that wake me up not soaking the bed just head and under arms sweat ..my doctor had put me on amoxicillin 500mg for 7 days and then 3 weeks later for 14 days that helped but as I had taken the last one yesterday and last night the sweats returned I have no weight loss and also have mild angina the only other thing I have noticed is my wrist is getting thiner as my watch is much slacker
I have had 2 lots of blood tests taken that seem to be normal I also have mild diverticulosis ..

your thoughts and help please
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any fever along with the night sweats?
What is your temperature during these night sweats?
Did your doctor identify any particular infection on exam that lead to the use of the amoxicillin?
Have you had mild angina prior to this? Or is this a new development?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if I have a fever or not ..

dont know my temperture during sweats but think I am hot goes away 5 min after i get up I am also fully awake think it is about 2 hrs after I fall asleep

no Doctor did not identify any infection

angina is about 3 years now so not new

Thank you for the additional information.

The fact that the symptoms improve while taking the amoxicillin suggests that the underlying cause of the symptoms is a bacterial infection, but the symptoms that you describe can occur with a bacterial infection in many different locations. Certainly, diverticular disease can become infected (diverticulitis), but there would usually be some abdominal symptoms present, not just night sweats with or without fever. There are several other locations that may not cause specific symptoms with a bacterial infection, such as a sinus infection, prostate infection, or gallbladder infection.

If the symptoms recur after a two week course of amoxicillin and there still is no specific site of infection apparent on exam, then the usual next step would be to use a stronger antibiotic that is better at killing resistant germs. Commonly used antibiotics would include Augmentin, Bactrim, or Ceftin.

Since the antibiotics are only available by prescription, you would need to discuss this with your doctor.

Another option to consider for symptomatic relief would be to use some paracetamol or ibuprofen at bedtime to try to prevent any night sweats during the night.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you think of the thinning of my wrist is there any conection my watch now slides right round .ll.also what would be the best type of doctor

would I be best to see about the sweats as I fell I am not getting anywere with my GP Many Thanks

If you are not losing weight, then the lose watch is probably solely a reflection of altered fluid status. Frequent night sweats will cause fluid loss and can cause perceiving thinning of many anatomic structure, including the wrist and hands. In reality, fluid status affects the entire body, but people tend to notice it more in places where something is snug on the body, such as the watch on the wrist or rings on the fingers.

If your GP is not able to clarify the cause of the night sweats, then the appropriate specialist would be an Infectious Disease specialist. If a specific organ system is suggested by symptoms, then the respective specialist for that organ system would be appropriate. For example, if the concern is that there is diverticulitis, then a Gastroenterologist would be appropriate. However, if the site of infection remains unclear, then an Infectious Disease specialist would be appropriate to be looking for an unknown site of infection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Many thanks for your advice .... I have tried taking paracetamol and it has stoped the sweats but I am now waking up shaking about 2 hours after I fall asleep but no fever and no sweat this has happend twice last night shaking for about 10/15 minutes each time ..

would that mean the antibotics were working when I was taking them

I got my blood results yesterday from doctor and all was normal

Yes, this is suggestive that the antibiotics were helping when you were taking them. As noted above, recurrence of symptoms would usually result in consideration of the use of a stronger antibiotic.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but would something not show up on my blood test,,,, what can I do till I get to see my doctor on Monday o Many thanks for your helpfull advice but I am very concerned as the shaking is new and pain in my left leg

Not necessarily. Many times, there is an infection with a normal blood count. The only options that are available over the counter are medicines for symptomatic relief, such as the paracetamol or ibuprofen, as noted above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Love for you very helpfull advice ...I will click excell;ent service

when I get some further help with this.. if I need to can I come back to you ...

....once more many thanks

Absolutely. I will be glad to provide assistance again in the future.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.