Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has an ear infection and began antibiotics yesterday.

My husband has an ear infection and began antibiotics yesterday. He is still very uncomfortable and his ear has got blood in it. Should we be worried?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

It will frequently take a couple days on an antibiotic to notice significant improvement in the symptoms from an ear infection. In fact, it is possible for symptoms to get worse for a short period of time before noticing improvement.

Within that context, it is common for an ear infection to get some bleeding, as well as causing significant pain. Therefore, the fact that he is still very uncomfortable and the ear has blood in it when only one day into the antibiotic course is not worrisome.

On the other hand, it would be expected that he should start noticing significant improvement within a few days of an antibiotic that is working well against the bacteria. The symptoms will typically not be completely improved within a few days, but there should be definite improvement. Therefore, if he is not having improvement in symptom in a couple more days, then it would be appropriate to contact his doctor for consideration of a different antibiotic.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ron is also experiencing a burning sensation on the side of his tongue especially when he is trying to eat. He noticed this even before he felt the sore ear and throat.

How long before the onset of the sore ear and throat did he notice the burning on the side of the tongue?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a few hours

If it preceded the other symptoms by only a few hours, it is very likely that this is also part of the infection. Ear infections usually happen from an initial problem that causes inflammation of the head, such as a simple viral infection, which is the most common. Therefore, it is common to have viral symptoms, such as a sore throat or a burning tongue, associated with an ear infection. These symptoms are not due to the ear infection, but rather to the underlying viral infection that set up the ear infection. These symptoms will typically resolve spontaneously, even without antibiotics. The antibiotics are effective at killing the bacteria in the ear, but will not accelerate recovery from any viral infection that had set up the ear infection.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.