Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A few years ago in 2005 I received a bad electric shock from

A few years ago in 2005 I received a bad electric shock from an electric fence on my gap year in South Africa. Since then I have had increasing fatigue, sleep disturbance, and exhausted for days after any task mental or physical. The exhaustion hits particularly hard in the afternoon where my muscle pain goes through the roof. I have a lot of physical weakness, stumble into things, have problems with the pressure of anything on my muscles, and have had the inability to stand straight since this accident. I get burning pains around the back of the ribs and increased digestion and bowel problems. I limp more as fatigue becomes worse and my leg muscles jam up.

I have also had unexplained migraines since this accident, something I’ve only recently been able to get under control with FL-41 tinted glasses, finding that photosensitivity is a big factor. I’ve only been able to start piecing things together since getting my migraines under control, as it makes it impossible to put thoughts together, making consultations with doctors impossible. One of the things I remember is that after blacking-out straight after the shock, daylight appeared brighter/more intense, and I’ve had multiple visits since to opticians due to the glare distorting my vision, something that I find the tinted glasses help with. The glasses are not perfect, which is why I need to wear hat and glasses under fluorescent lighting.

I’ve also had increased sensitivity to various stuff not just lights. Alcohol keeps me up all night and a sore throat, tea/coffee (incl decaf) affects my concentration and makes me need the toilet urgently every few minutes, too much caffeine gives a migraine, gluten leads to bloating, heavy legs, sugar craving and during my period sickness and diarrhoea. A nickel allergy started up after 2005, extremes of temperature affect me (heat makes me drowsy and cold makes my muscles jam up, difficulty walking, and a feeling drunk effect that takes days to fully recover from. I can’t read/look at a picture on a lit screen and remember what I’ve seen.

My childhood memories up to 2005 are patchy at best, XXXXX XXXXX reliant on stories told by family/photos etc, or aspects I can work out for example being able to watch sport on the TV and socialise with no problems that became difficult since 2005. My parents say I was strong up to 2005 and often top of my class, but it was since 2005 that all these unexplained difficulties started.

My question, now I’ve given you the background, is do you know of any tests that would assess is there has been any damage due to the electric shock to my muscles and/or nervous system? I’ve had a CT scan on my head, though the current travelled through my arms to my bogy that way. Is there anyone who knows about the effects of large electric shocks? Do you have any other advice?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

severe electrical shocks can be very mysterious and often can cause problems which are difficult to diagnose.

you need more than a CT scan of the brain. you need an MRI scan of the brain with contrast and an MRI scan of the spine with contrast to look for abnormalities.

also you need blood work to check your hormone levels, thyroid hormone levels, autoimmune disorders, antibodies to your nervous system and inflammatory factors such as ESR, C reactive protein, ANA. and complete chemistry panels and blood counts.

you might even need to start on migraine medications if your headaches are bad. medications like imitrex or topamax.

it is a lot of medical testing and workup

I would start with the MRI scan of the brain.

let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician