Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i had a bad viral ,all my chest ,back of my nack and arms went

Customer Question

i had a bad viral ,all my chest ,back of my nack and arms went into spasms cant seem to pick up my breast bones are still aching thats three weeks i don,t know if it is tapped wind or not ,i am either sweating or shivering can you help me please
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
What information would be helpful to you?

I had asked for some clarification of what information would be helpful and have not heard back, so I will address the usual care for a viral infection.

There are no antibiotics that will eradicate a viral infection, so it will need to simply run its course. The usual approach is supportive care and symptomatic relief. It is appropriate to be getting plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids. The usual first medicine to use for relief of aches, pain, and shivering would be paracetamol, which is one of the ingredients in the co-codamal. Another option if the paracetamol is not sufficient would be to use ibuprofen. If you are having any shortness of breath, that would be more worrisome and the usual medicines are available only by prescription, so it would be appropriate to be seen. Similarly, if you develop cough productive of purulent mucus, that would also warrant being seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.