DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a very itchy scalp near and around the front crown if

I have a very itchy scalp near and around the front crown if my head. My hair is fine in this area and the scalp is shiny. I cannot put chemicals on my head due to the hypersensitivity of my scalp. I try to ease the itching with apple cider vinegar. A GP diagnosed seborric dermatitis but the medication they gave wsd too much for my scslp. Please advise
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I would try a shampoo designed for this problem
Such as nizoral.
It is mild over the counter.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very disappointed with the answer. It clearly states ive tried Nizoral so uou havent read what the issue is. You have not provided any other solutions or methods anf clearly this is not serious to you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Your question sat in dermatology with no takers.
I was alerted at that point, and I can not use the chat format since it came to me as q and a only.

q and a require a back and forth, and I expect it to be cordial.

You say it is seborrheic dermatitis, which is a diet, hormone, skin, medical and functional problem.

What type of doctor gave you this diagnosis?

If you can not use any medications, how do you know that...you have not given me a list...please list those that you have tried
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer recommended that i use Nizoral when i stated i had already tried it. Also time difference as I am in the UK have have a US doctor replying but not same time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am replying in real time, and I am doing so promptly when you respond.

It appears you don't have help from your own doctors

You don't want to use any actual treatments....

What exactly are you looking for?

I am also board certified in integrative medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When i am prescibed trestments my scalp cannot tolerste the chemicals so i have tried natural remedies. Hence my use of apple cider vinegar.

There is no irritation to the rest of my skin. Is there a mild treatment you can recommend. Coal tar does not work for me. My diet is normal so i am unsure as to what the trigger is.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I can recommend a number of things to try, as well as the correct diet, but I am still concern that you rate me negative without taking the time to talk back and forth.

You can reverse that rating with a positive....

Let's give it a try
Tell me your diet, meal to meal, typical day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Without labouring the point, you recommended Nizorsl when i had stated I had already tried it. I am willing to review the rating.

I drink at least 2 litres of water a day. I do not drink tea or coffee and have alcohol occassionally. I usually have poached eggs or porridge forbreakfast. I eat alot of fish and have red meat 3x a week. I work out moderately and am partial to sweets when I snack.

In my teens i had severe acne but no scalp problems. In the past 6yrs the problem has exacerbated and i was advised by the doctor that stress could also be a cause.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me exactly what you eat at each meal on a typical day.
Please be more specific...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had porridge with four teaspoobs of sugar. Throughout the day i have brazil and almond nuts with sweets. For lunch i have a vegetable noodke salad. For dinner broccoli snap beans and carrots with 3small salami slices. Ill have water throughout the day.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
List all herbs, vitamins, medications, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No medication

Thyme. Black and white pepper. Parsley garlic coriander. I do not take any vitamin supplements.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
First
A: I would make the diet strictly nutrient dense and anti inflammatory

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
B. Add the following daily, ginger, tumeric, in the diet.
C. Find a 30X dilution of homeopathic calendual. But several granules in a cup of water and rinse 3 times a day for 3 days, then wait and repeat only when needed.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you what impact will this diet change have upon my scalp.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Is should stop any inflammatory tendencies and help clear it up.
The calendula is not a drug or a chemical, it is a dilution, so an energy/picture dose, and it will kick start the process.

you should be working with a doctor trained in these areas....

You can find them here
www.functionalmedicine.org
see the find a practitioner link, upper right of the first page.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.