Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have stage 4 melanoma with three tumours removed over last

I have stage 4 melanoma with three tumours removed over last 15 months. Two in the brain and one in the right groin. I had a CT scan in the first week of January which was all clear. My next scan is due in April. In the last week I have developed numbness on the outside of the lower left thigh. It is accompanied with interim pain in the left thigh. Can this be in anyway related to the melanoma diagnosis.

Thank you Dave
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Do you have associated back pain?
Have you developed such symptoms only in left thigh?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Doctor Robert. I have not had any lower back pain. The numbness and aches are only in the left thigh but in different spots. The numbness is there constantly but only developed in last few days. The also redness is in the middle of the thigh at the front and comes and goes. At it's worse I need to take pain killers. I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder due to the melanoma diagnosis and that I am no longer able to work, and all the associated financial issues.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I can understand your concern.

Good to hear that you had a normal CT scan in January.
Having associated pain and numbness in the outside portion of left thigh could be related with compression of the nerves of the thigh, it can be either the Femoral nerve or upper lumbar nerve root.

This can be a condition called Meralgia paresthetica , it is a condition that can cause numbness and burning pain over the outside of the thigh. It may be associated with redness.
As such, it doesn't sounds to be related with melanoma.

Usually it is not a serious condition and will get resolve on its own.
You should remain away from lifting any heavy objects.
You can use Heating pads or hot wet towels on affected areas. You can apply it for 15-20 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day.
You can take OTC Tylenol for pain.

If symptoms doesn't start to improve in next 2 weeks, then you need-
-X ray/ scan
-Nerve conduction studies test.

I wish for your good health.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.