Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have just had a blood test which revealed an excessive amount

I have just had a blood test which revealed an excessive amount of calcium in my blood.
A further blood test has just been done to look further into this excessive calcium

My doctor wants to see me again and says he will then refer me to a consultant who will decide to have a part of my thyroid gland removed, or to prescribe medication.

He says the operation, if advised would be a minor one. Would it be likely to involve a stay in hospital? If so, for how long? Would it be necessary to rest after the operation?
I am a tutor and would hope not to interrupt my teaching schedule for too long.

Would be grateful for an answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--most likely this is a problem with a parathyroid gland adenoma--the glands behind the thyroid gland that regulate calcium. Whether it's that or it's a problem with part of your thyroid the hospital stay would probably be no more than three days. You should be able to return to work a day or two after you leave the hospital.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. When I had the calcium level specific blood test today, I also had a chest X-ray as requested by my doctor. Why was this necessary please? I don't feel particularly poorly - possible my energy levels are not as as high as they should be. Please advise, should I carry on my usual activities including a moderate amount of travel (inland)?

Would be grateful for your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
My first question to Dr Chip was answered satisfactorily by him. I am still waiting for the answer to my follow up question.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.

From the perspective of the chest x-ray, it is done in the evaluation of a high calcium to rule out any lung problems that could be contributing to the problem, such as sarcoidosis or cancer. It is most likely the parathyroid adenoma as noted by the other expert, but this is done to exclude other possibilities.

As long as you are feeling OK, then you can continue all of your usual activities, including travel. If the fatigue worsens before definitive treatment is done, you can still perform whatever level of activity is tolerated with your energy level.