Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
25897591

I have a problem with my tearing during and after

I have a problem with my foreskin tearing during and after sex with my partner (Female).

It bleeds (always from the same area) and takes some time to heal.

My GP diagnosed it as Thrush and prescribed cream.

Still having the same symptoms as mentioned above.
Expert:  Dr. Monica replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Monica :

Hello-

Dr. Monica :

Your condition is not likely healed. You do probably have a fungal infection still that is causing excess irritation and needs prolonged treatment. How long did you use the cream for?

Dr. Monica :

And what is the name of the cream?

Customer:

About 10 days (Canesten) Forgot to mention I am type 2 diabetic. Also experience itcheness ocassionally.

Dr. Monica :

I usually recommend Clotrimazole (same as Canesten) cream twice daily for 4-6 weeks, depends on how long it takes to clear up. But you should use the cream for at least one week following resolution of the rash/irritation. This is especially true since you have Diabetes, which makes the infection more difficult to clear. It will help if your sugars are under control. If the condition still does not improve, you should see your doctor to discuss oral treatment. Hope this helps.

Dr. Monica :

Oh, and during treatment it is best to avoid intercourse if possible, and to make sure your partner does not have a yeast infection either.

Customer:

Thank you. Is the tearing and bleeding of the foreskin connected to Thrush/Fungal infection?

Dr. Monica :

Yes it is from the irritation and the breakdown that is caused by the fungal infection itself.

Customer:

Thank you. I just assumed that because the tearing/bleeding was more of a physical thing it could have something to do my foreskin being tight and needing 'releasing' or circumsition?

Dr. Monica :

No, the issues you are describing are common with a fungal infection on the foreskin. If you are unable to pull the foreskin back at any point, then you should be seen again by your doctor.

Dr. Monica :

But sometimes the infection can make the foreskin inflammed or swollen, not to be mistaken for another condition that is more serious in which the foreskin can no longer be pulled back. Since you have already been diagnosed with a fungal infection then I think your condition will resolve with longer treatment.

Customer:

Okay, Thank you for your advice.

Dr. Monica :

You are welcome, hope you get better soon.