Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I need some sti advice, im a bit worried.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

May I know your exact question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am worried about a recent possible hiv exposure on tuesday last week. I used a condom with a sex worker, and received a blow job without a condom. I am worried if the condom split or burst that i may have got something. I have had a minor sore throat last thursday, went for tests on friday and the sore throat abated over the weekend only to come back strong on tuesday until today. they found strep (mouth) in my ureathrea. I acknowledge i may have got strep throat last week but what is causing my sore throat this week? I am worried it is hiv. There is no sign of bacterial infection on the throat but it is quite red. im told this is not indicative of hiv but im note sure.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Hello David,

I do understand your anxiety.

Let me explain a bit. HIV infection {acute phase} generally presents after 2 to 4 weeks after the exposure. The symptoms are varied - fever/ rash/ sore throat/ enlarged nodes, extra. A particular symptom does not indicate HIV though.

In your case as the symptom is seen in a week, I would not think of HIV. Only way to know if you have got the infection is through test. I would also add - Possibility of getting HIV through oral act is very low as compared to other acts.

The cause of redness at throat can be - infection {viral}/ allergic/ post nasal drip or reflux disease. Ibuprofen and Benadryl should help. Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}, chicken soup does wonders.

Please do not worry.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it right that red soreness does not indicate hiv because hiv does not attack the throat? my nodes arent up or anything, i just dont know what to do and am very anxious...i cant test yet as its been what 11 or so days. im really worried.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Please calm down David.

No particular symptom indicates HIV. If I were you i would not think of HIV with redness of throat {post oral sex}.

Do not worry. Forget the incidence and move ahead in your life.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks. i will try to - its the possibility of the condom getting a hole in really...so you are saying if my throat is red that this inflammation is not likely to be due to hiv?

I guess its people like me that keep this site running!! lol

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Condom generally does not break in form of a hole. If it ruptures than it is in form of a tear {linear}.

In your case I would not think of HIV with redness at the throat.

:)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about a small rupture then? is some protection better than none in this instance?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Yes, some protection is definitely better than none. There needs to be exchange of bodily fluid like blood, semen or vaginal fluid for transmission to happen. The oral mucosa is very resistant to HIV hence transmission chances are too low.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

really bad question coming next, it is my last. Im sorry for even asking it...im a normal guy i promise!

if i got a fairly wet blowjob before putting the condom on, is their saliva yet another barrier then if some of her vaginal fluid got through a hole in the condom. If not, do i need to be cut for the transmission to happen?

bet you wished you trained to be something else with crap like this right??> lol

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
David,

No, saliva will not act as a barrier. It is the intact oral mucosa which acts as a barrier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for transmission to occur from vaginal fluid, do i need to be cut?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
In case of vaginal act - You do not have to be cut or have active bleeding. Unprotected sex does put you at risk.

In case of oral sex {you giving it to her} - The risk increases if you have active bleeding or a cut in oral cavity.