Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I have had about 3 weeks ago with a new partner, I

I have had sex about 3 weeks ago with a new partner, I used a condom but now have a rash near the penis which looks like 9 brown spots. I did notice a strange feeling the next day after intercourse but did not look until now.
I do have a picture to send to you if it is possible to be sure what it is please.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
A definitive diagnosis cannot be made based on an internet review of a photo, but we can comment on what it appears to be.
Can you attach the photo?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

spots

When you say that you are taking treatment with Zovirax, is it for this rash?
Or are you already taking Zovirax?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, just tried it, not prescribed. Just me .

Very good.

The appearance of this rash is that it is a reaction to something to which you have come in contact. It does not have the appearance of herpes or any other STD.

The fact that you started having symptoms so quickly is also consistent with such a reaction. There is no STD that can start causing symptoms the next day. This is because it takes time for a germ to grow. The fastest that symptoms can develop from an STD would be a couple days, and it is more common for it to be longer. For example, the average time to onset of symptoms with herpes is 4 days.

It is impossible to determine from the rash the exact substance to which you are sensitive. The most common are various scents, such as in hygiene products, soaps, detergents, etc., that can leave some residual product on the partner to which the penis comes in contact. It is also possible (although less common) to react to a condom, but it would be less likely if you have been using this brand of condom previously.

This type of rash will frequently resolve spontaneously with no intervention beyond normal cleansing. However, if the rash is more bothersome or persistent, the usual treatment would be a mild steroid cream, such as the hydrocortisone cream available over the counter.

There is no indication in this picture that you would need Zovirax, so it can be stopped.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, the time line I gave you could be wrong as at first it was just a "feeling" that something was not quite right.

It has been 3 weeks since contact and as I have a regular partner I am concerned that I do not give her anything.

Your answer is reassuring, but the 2 things of concern are genital warts and herpies.

I do have steroid cream which I use for exma so I will give that a try.

If it was either of the above are they treatable ? and how ?

Lee

It does not have the appearance of genital warts or herpes. However, if present, there are treatments that can be done for these conditions, although they are not considered cures for the problems. There are several destructive treatments that can be applied to genital warts, such as chemicals, freezing, or laser. The treatment of herpes is Zovirax and similar medicines (Valtrex and Famvir).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks.

One last question, what should I look out for on my partner ? just in case it's one of the above.

In a female is it on the outside of the vagina or near the lips?

Both genital warts and herpes can occur anywhere on the genitalia of the female, both externally and internally. So there are some locations that cannot be seen on simple inspection of the external genitalia. On the external genitalia, it can be on the lips or around the opening of the vagina, or anywhere on the genitalia, even as far as the skin around the anus.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, really is the last question.

If you have the cold sore tingle on your mouth, can the virus be transferred to the genitals of a femail by oral sex ? (looking for the way out of this ! )

Yes, if someone has oral herpes and is shedding the virus and provides oral sex to a partner, the oral herpes can be transmitted to the partner and be manifested as genital herpes. This is true regardless of the gender of the various partners. A man with oral herpes that provides oral sex to a female can transmit the virus, or a female with oral herpes that provides oral sex to a male can transmit the virus. In fact, it can occur in homosexual encounters.

The vast majority of genital herpes is the genital form of the herpes virus (type 2), but we are seeing an increasing frequency of genital herpes that is caused by the oral form of the herpes virus (type 1).

It is also true that most people are immune to oral herpes because of a prior oral infection, and if so, there will be no transmission of the virus. Once you have been infected, it provides immunity against another infection in any location on the body.