DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Tiny, raised, itchy, painful red spot filled with clear fluid

Tiny, raised, itchy, painful red spot filled with clear fluid near mouth. When scratched caused swelling of whole area. Causing lips to become swelled.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
hello
how long
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long?

The spot is still there but significantly smaller. My lip swelled up on the side of the spot so that one side of the mouth looked closed when my mouth was open. It became very hot and swelled up very quickly, I could feel the swelling. Had the first one in October and the second came last Sunday.
I've had pompholics , excema over whole body (which according to a hospital consultant is well maintained through use of sensitive products free of preservatives) and the food intolorances since I was about 18.

I had very mild acne as a teenager and have high oestrogen and progesterone levels so I get the odd spot hormonally but this is different.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I scratched the head of absent mindly as I was concentrating on something else and it was really itchy. I'm old enough to know not to squeeze any spot
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Did this look like a blister, but small?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did look a little like the pompholics I get on the inside of my fingers. But it was red and raised. I had originally thought the first one was a insects bite. But saw no evidence or felt being bitten.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
It is mostly likely viral, herpes type 1.
It can get infected secondarily as well.
I would have them swabbed and sent to the lab for identification.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How?? Did I get that?? I've been with my husband for 13years I haven't kissed anyone else. I've never had a cold sore. Neither has my husband. In fact we rarely kiss or anything else since we had the children. I'm confused. I thought you get that through kissing.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Almost 90% of adults have it.
You can get it from childhood.
Most people never get a blister...it is almost ubiquitous in the population.
Your husband could have had it since childhood and never had a blister.

We don't know unless you get it swabbed.

You can also get a serum test which shows if you have been exposed in the past...and there is at least an 8 to 9/10 chance that you have.

Please do not forget a positive rating.