DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, Ive been taking 10mg Lexapro now for some years.I have

I've been taking 10mg Lexapro now for some years.I have spoken to my doctor before about trying to discontinue the med altogether but when I tried reducing it I got 'electric shock' sensations which were very uncomfortable - his response was that this was a very small dose so just keep taking it, which I did for the next 2 years.
I dont think I need to take this med any more, and I believe it has side effects that I'm not prepared to put up with any longer - headaches daily, weight gain, absolute loss of libido and insomnia are the main ones - so as I believed this was a relatively small dose, I stopped taking the med about 8 days ago. Since then, I've been experiencing the same horrible electric shock sensations, and in the last couple of days I feel snappy & agitated and am getting headaches back - I figured these were all just symptoms of withdrawal and I'm prepared to put up with them, but how long will they last??
Thanks,
Fiona
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
This should not last more than 2 to 4 weeks.

If it does, it would indicate that you might need to be on the medication.

If you are gradually getting better, then I would give it more time.

The problem is that you have to remember what the drug was treating.

Such medications alter receptor dynamics in the brain, so this needs to be given time to readjust.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I putting myself at any risk by continuing like this - are these symptoms normal, are these 'electric shocks' that I feel in my chest just sensations or are they causing any damage? I feel pretty awful at the moment but I feel I can probably get control of the original problem with other options rather than meds, and the side effects that I mentioned before seem to be a high price to pay if I can do some natural therapies/techniques.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
They generally do not indicate damage.

An option is to go back to the lowest dose that relieves symptoms, then taper more slowly.

Please do not forget a positive rating.