Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 53 years old ,havent had a for four months .I

I am 53 years old ,haven't had a period for four months .I joined a gym three months ago ,and when I excise I bleed slightly after .why is this .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any other symptoms?
Are you having any bleeding after intercourse?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been getting lower back pain ,sometimes after sex I bleed .I only take thyroxine ,and have taken that for 15years .
When was your TSH checked last?
What was the result of the TSH?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is a TSH test
TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is a blood test to monitor thyroxine replacement treatment. TSH is a hormone released by the pituitary gland in response to brain monitoring of thyroid function. Do you know whether this was checked recently?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have a check every year
Well, it may be necessary to check it sooner this year.

The most common cause of an absence of periods in a 53 year old is the onset of menopause. There are several conditions that can cause bleeding after exercise, including inflammation or infection, but the most worrisome is that there is an abnormal growth of the uterine lining, which can either be benign or malignant. Any time there is abnormal bleeding, there should be further evaluation to determine the exact cause.

One of the other possible causes, though, is thyroid dysfunction. Of all women that come in with abnormal bleeding, it is only a small percentage in whom it is found to be due to thyroid dysfunction. However, is a woman with known thyroid dysfunction, it certainly would be appropriate to check thyroid function tests to assure that the thyroid is well regulated. Therefore, if the TSH level has not been checked since these symptoms started, it would be appropriate that the first step be a check of the TSH. If the TSH is normal, then further evaluation for other causes should then occur.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.