Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Ive been having these severe stabbing pains in my stomach

Customer Question

Hi I've been having these severe stabbing pains in my stomach for the past 2 weeks. The pain comes and goes sometimes it starts in the upper gastric abdomen and other times all over my stomach. I noticed when I eat fried foods like dim sims or spring rolls or any pastryy cramps start. After a bowel movement I'm fine. I do suffer IBS and acidic stomach, however these pains are excruciating when they start.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
When the pain is bothering you, is there any tenderness to press on the stomach?
If so, where is the tenderness?
Have you tried any medicines other than the Buscopan?
Are you taking any other chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is slight tenderness, and usually all over the stomach I have to curl up or tense my stomach to get some relief. I'm not taking or tried any other medications. The pain comes and goes I will be fine for a few days than it will attack me after I eat certain foods.
Thank you for the additional information.

I ask about tenderness, because the location of tenderness is usually a better indicator than the location of pain. Pain is not always felt in the location of the problem, but the location of tenderness is more accurate. If the tenderness is diffuse, that is usually a sign that it is a less serious problem. The more serious conditions that can cause significant abdominal pain will typically cause tenderness that is more specific in a location. For example, gallbladder disease will typically cause tenderness in the right upper abdomen immediately under the rib cage and pancreatic disease will typically cause tenderness in the center of the abdomen.

Since you have a history of IBS, it is most likely that this is an exacerbation that is greater than prior episodes, which is why it is causing a greater amount of pain. An acid irritation syndrome also can cause significant pain, although that would typically cause pain and tenderness in the upper abdomen.

At this point, there are several home interventions that can be tried to help with the pain. It may help to eat a lighter diet that is low in fat but higher in fiber. Some people find that certain other foods can trigger symptoms, such as simple sugars, dairy products, or chocolate; it is reasonable to maintain a diary of food intake to determine whether there are any patterns to suggest a trigger. It also may help to take a medicine to relieve gas, such as simethicone or activated charcoal. It also is fine to take paracetamol in addition to the Buscopan.

If the pain persists depite these interventions, then it would be better to be seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow up questions. If any further information would be helpful, please let me know.