Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I WAS NOT GOING TO THE TOILET FOR TWO DAYS THEN I GO FIVE TIMES

Customer Question

I WAS NOT GOING TO THE TOILET FOR TWO DAYS THEN I GO FIVE TIMES IN ABOUT SEVEN HOURS AND MY SHIT WAS BLACK not just light black but charcoal black. should i be worried
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you taken any medicines like Bismuth?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Hello Gordon,

This is something that you need to get examined for urgently.

Black stools occur due to blood in the stool.

This is likely to be Melena or blood in the stool.

When the blood is from higher up in the intestine it shows as black tarry stool and not red blood.

There can be many causes of such melena - blood from the stomach, from the intestines like crohn's, angioma, tumors, etc.

You need to show your doctor urgently as melena is considered a medical emergency.

Continuing loss of blood can lead to sudden fall of blood pressure and other problems

Talk to your doctor immediately for this. If you cannot get contact with him immediately then you need to go to the ER for this.

See your doctor or go to the ER for this immediately.

Till then take care to have a lot of fluids.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.