DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi. My dad went in to surgery for his stomach. Doctors say

Customer Question

Hi. My dad went in to surgery for his stomach. Doctors say that they had to operate because his intestine and bowel had problems with blood flow and thus was dangerous.
After surgery he has a dellerium and aggression.
They have now sedated him and have him on the ventilator because of sleep apnea that was worrying. I am concerned about the fluid build up in his stomach and the suggestion of a another operation to clean up. Also after two days his recovery is going slow

How long does it take patients in their 60' s to heal from an op like this and are the any worrys post surgery
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The doctors are correct.
It can take a week in the hospital for this situation.

I would ask carefully about the fluid build up...why?
Infection? heart problem? kidney problem? All of these have to be considered. Only an infection or leak of the bowel might warrant going back in.

As far as his other symptoms.
a. are they sedating him to much ...using too many meds.
b. are his electrolytes OK? Sodium , potassium, magnesium, chloride, potassium...make sure you ask about this. Commonly, these are off balance after this surgery.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is still on a ventilator and the docs say he is stable. The concern I have is the fluid build up and the possibility of another operation that is so close to the first. Is it safe to go into surgery so quickly after the first of a man of z61 years of age. Or is there something else wrong that we might not be aware off? As for infection, what should I be looking for?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No of course there is risk...but if it is the only option and he will die otherwise then it has to be done.

If they have scanned his abdomen, the picture should be pretty clear.

Infection is something the doctors would see on exam of the abdomen, or in lab tests such as white count, bands and cultures.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He went for the second operation. His breathing on the ventilator is better and turned down to 40%. They say this is good. They are also sedating him with low doses of morphine. He seems more calm but this could be the drugs.

His wound is not stitched and the doc wants to go for another "clean up" in 48hrs and then review to close the wound.

We are worried that he is going under anisthethic again and might make him weak.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Anesthesia is not the problem.
That is rarely the cause of problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Doc

My dad now has an MRSA infection. Doctors are not saying much and they say they are on top of it. They have him on Meropenem. And 2 others. They have him sedated and on a ventilator after closing the wounds this week.

They were supposed to get him off the ventilator this weekend but chose not to. I am deeply concerned.

What are the risks if having MRSA, diabetes after a surgery like his?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
High
Please find me by request for new questions.
We are only paid by ja per positive rating
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not happy with your commitment to help our family understand the complications. Seems like all u care of is payments
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Actually JA prefers if you find us by request for new questions.
IN addition, we are only paid by JA per positive request.

You say he has MRSA and the doctors are on top of it.

The risk is bug resistance.
But they would have tested for that. I think he will be OK, but that is not 100% certain. The people at the bedside taking care of him should be able to assess this hourly.

Please find me by request for new questions. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Did you see the answer?
did you have further questions?