Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

When ever I do Abdominal workouts (sit-up, etc during a exercise

When ever I do Abdominal workouts (sit-up, etc during a exercise session I get terrible cramps lasting for 20mins, therefore I stopped doing it. I'm not sure why I am suffering from this.

And also when working out the legs my toe will get stuck in a down position and freeze like that. Then, i get this sharp pain and the toe is stuck in that position and i have to use my hands to move my toe back into place. I also bad cramps quadriceps, hamstrings, calf.

It is literally every time I go swimming and start kicking. It is always my right foots 2nd toe, and I would say 90% of the time my left foots 2nd toe does the same thing. What will happen is I will start kicking and all of a sudden my toe will get stiff and I cant move it

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent it from happening.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No investigation were done.
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Foysal,

Are there associated symptoms like tingling or weakness at lower limbs/ pain at back? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have no other medical condition or any associated symptoms
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for additional information.

Let me explain a bit. Cramps at abdominal muscles/ flexion of a particular toe - after exercise indicates contraction of the muscle concerned. The cause can be varied - Reduced blood supply to the muscle concerned {anemia/ dehydration/ vitamin deficiency/ mineral deficiency or narrowing of the blood vessels} OR irritation of the nerve concerned {at the spine level or at its course} - diabetes, vitamin deficiency or pinching at the spine level due to disc bulge or osteophyte.

If I were you I would get this evaluated for sure. A physical evaluation along with few investigations like - blood tests/ x ray followed by MRI lumbar spine should give us more answers.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ avoid exercise which triggers contraction of the muscles {till a diagnosis is reached at}.

Please do not worry, you will be fine.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Other gym users have said they had the same problem.
Could it be the fact that I never worked out these muscle groups before
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Foysal,

It may be the cause BUT I am worried for flexion of the second toe. This should not happen {this severe flexion needs evaluation}.