Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi i have recently been diagnosed with H.Pylori, I have been

Hi i have recently been diagnosed with H.Pylori, I have been put on triple therapy medication for 14 days. My medicine has now finished can this be cured. I have also had inflammation of my ears my right ear is very pain full with headaches and pain around my right eye how long will this last. I have inflammation in both ears. Doing research it seems like the medicine do not work. I am losing hope now and becoming depressed with no energy. Please help

I am now worried about my ears I cant get no sleep I have high temperature with all the medicines I have took

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

When treating H. pylori, there are several important aspects to consider when determining the effectiveness of treatment.

First, is that we have a different perspective of success than with most other germs, which is why you are finding discouraging information about a "cure." H. pylori is amazingly common, being present in about 50% of people at any given point in time. In most people it is not causing any problems, so we neither test for it nor consider treatment for it. There are some people that have an active infection with H. pylori, contributing to acid irritation in the stomach, such as gastritis or an ulcer. These are the people that are treated for the H. pylori. In this context, if we define a cure as being the elimination of the active infection and the contribution to the acid irritation syndrome, then triple drug therapy is very effective, working in about 90% of people. However, this does not mean that the person will not acquire H. pylori again and the H. pylori may be present without causing problems. So, we do not define a cure as a permanent eradication of the germ.

You may find some people on the internet that will only consider a cure as permanent eradication of the germ, and with that definition, the medicines are far less effective. But for a person that is having symptoms from an acid irritation syndrome that is associated with an H. pylori infection, the triple drug regimen is very effective for the goal of healing the level of infection that is contributing to the acid irritation syndrome.

If there is inflammation of the ear or sinuses from a bacterial infection, the antibiotics in the triple drug regimen may also help this. But if the inflammation of the ear and sinuses is not infectious, such as from allergies, then it may require separate treatment, such as with an antihistamine or a nasal spray of steroid medicines.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how long does it take to cure the ear infection and h.pylori

Triple drug therapy will take 10-14 days of treatment to eradicate the H. pylori. Ear infections are usually cleared more quickly, with 7-10 days of antibiotics.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my triple therapy medication is finished and still feel the same. but with extra acid and heartburn now

Then it would be appropriate to recheck for the H. pylori, As noted above, it will clear the H. pylori 90% of the time, but there are 10% that require another course. If the recheck of the H. pylori is negative, then there would need to be more aggressive treatment of the acid irritation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can a ear infection be related to headaches I have had constant head ache around my eye area, when I close them the eyes hurt more how can I over come this problem with the eyes and headaches