Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had a ca 125 level of 77 in November. I have had an

Customer Question

I have had a ca 125 level of 77 in November. I have had an ultrasound which showed cysts and an mri to look closer at them which gynaecologist was happy with and said not cancer. Now my ca 125 level has gone to 114 so she has now ordered a ct scan does that mean it could be cancer?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

No, not at all. Rise in CA 125 levels does not at all indicate that this can be cancer.

Rise of CA 125 is non-specific and it is raised in so many conditions that most doctors do not recommend this at all as a screening test for cancer.

This is because CA125 may be raised in so many other conditions that it more often than not leads to harmful over-diagnosis and investigations.

CA125 can be raised in endometriosis, several other diseases of the ovary, in any chronic inflammatory condition including liver diseases, as well as diabetes and cirrhosis.

So rise of CA125 is related to many other diseases and does not at all indicate cancer.

It is good that you are being checked with a CT scan but do not worry, this rise of CA125 is non-specific and does not mean that your chances of having cancer are raised.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will the ct scan show if there is anything. I went to the doctor in the first place because I was feeling a bit run down and tired and had missed 3 periods. Also felt a bit bloated. I thought I was perhaps anaemic and starting the menopause. I was shocked when all these tests started. Since December my periods have returned but are now coming every 2 weeks and are quite heavy but this has stopped me feeling bloated. I have also have a painful shoulder with pins and needles in my hand but these are my only symptoms now. I am also concerned about the ct scan radiation.

Hello Sonia,

Yes the CT scan will show if there is anything.

But do not worry, this does not sound like cancer at all.

Instead what it sounds like is a condition called Polycystic ovarian disease, a benign condition which can be treated by medicines.

Discuss about Polycystic Ovarian Disease with your doctor.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.