Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX in the 2011 i inserted a coil which

Customer Question

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX in the 2011 i inserted a coil which gave me premenstrual desease unfortunately......i have been taking the combined pill prescribed from a very good gaenocologist but did not work for me at all. I have been for a year on chinese herbal medicine and took away most uncomfortable issues....not sure what to do at the same time i understand it takes time. Someone suggested biofeedback however i am very spiritual and my meditations are giving me similar results.
Have u got any suggestions?
Please and Thank uuuuuuuuu
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me what symptoms are bothering you at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Premenstrual desease symptoms.....after taking chinese medine i was left only with tiredness but last week before my period i had some incidents of anxiety due to my illness during the period i was very weak and sick in pain , after the period i had a few incidents of depression i think which is strange to me as i was happy inside and then went away. Yesterday and today only body soreness and very very tired head to toe....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I see Irene. Have you had blood work like your estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone levels as well as a check of your thyroid function and an ultrasound of your uterus and ovaries?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe i had the above except the ultrasound

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And are you asking about what to do about the emotional instabilities?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well all i had described above is part of my premenstrual desease so yes it is unfortunately body and mind not always comes and goes out of my control as i always have been spirit and mind sunny happy tranquil even now....my body nervous system is definitely affected and that was surely the coil......

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question Irene--are you looking for possible medication for this in addition to perhaps other treatments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes why not......i'd like to know your opinion if you know about premenstrual desease please

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I'm very familiar with PMS. As for medications, an SSRI antidepressant like Safafem or Effexor can be very effective. In addition, Vitmin B12 and B6 supplements, calcium and magnesium supplements, omega 3 fatty acid supplements, and a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings a week of lean meats, poultry and fish--all that helps immensely. I'd also suggest trying to avoid caffeine and most dairy products
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello sorry i have a couple of questions can i ask ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So--no problem at all
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i am very very scared in taking antidepressants......scared they will make me sleep walk etc... In ur experience u have seen women getting back to normal life, work etc... ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand your concern but in general there are no significant side effects from the SSRI's and in the case of Serafem you can just take it for the few days before your period. Even without the medication, I have had a great deal of success with my female patients with PMS just on the supplements and diet I mentioned above. For now you can just try that part without medication but I feel very confident that with that you can lead a normal life with normal activities and routines. Give it a try, Irene, and let me know how it goes. And please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU I NOW FEEL A LOT BETTER XXX I WILL DEFINITELY CONSULT U AGAIN...GOD BLESS U

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know how it goes Irene and remember to rate my answer please I'll be here for you any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO LET U KNOW

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can just use the link above my photo--that will give you a new question page that will send your question directly to me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip, i been to see my gp but he did not know the pills you have suggested he gave me an antidepressant of 20mg Fluoxetine to take for a while or a week before period. He also told me all medications have side effects...I was not happy about it actually made me more nervous because i like your suggestions a lot more. Am taking fruit juices every morning which i never did before and green leafy veg juices plus all supplements possible plus chinese herbs and Reflexology.....

I am going to take the tablets when needed and a week before period .....as i have no choice. About what you suggested how can i get those tablets and how come they have no side effects ? Many Thanks xxxx

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Irene, any medication has potential side effects but that doesn't mean they occur in all patients. The fluoextine is also an SSRI so it should work just as well as the others. Give it a try for now and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok cannot thank u enoegh the way u talk to me the other one does not........are u based in uk ??? In the last month ahs been very hard mentally and phisycally in regard to this illness should i start it every day or before the period. Yesterday and today i felt fine just tired no sleeping too well and luck of appetite ....

My aunt went on menopause at 38 i am nearly 39 also i am nearly 40 is that mean could be a strong hormonal change ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--I'm in the US. Start it about three days before you expect your period and continue it for a week. Menopause for many women begins in the late 30's so this could be from a hormonal change and you should get your FSH, LH, progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone levels checked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok great, could i take the tablets also when needed as the last two times i had period once this has finished for at least 3 days i had mental stress.....God knows why as i was happy x

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can, if you'd like, take the medication daily after you start and continue it for, say, a couple of months to see how that goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My gaenecologist a year ago gave me the combined pill and after 3 months it started giving me bad effects

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well not every woman needs hormone replacement therapy for menopause
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to be a pain....... no more than 3 serving per week of red meat and i can eat chicken and fish.......is that right ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Any lean meat--could be pork too. Three servings a week of one of those
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Doctor u are very very good i am very happy i found you GOD MAY BLESS YOU XXX I will keep in touch x

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll be here whenever you need me Irene
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello dr Chip, i took the pills antidepressants for 4 days now but today i decided not to.....i feel ok and more awake it feels better, last night i could not sleep depression but i slept after reflexology as i do it myself and prayer......I forgotten to mention to you that i have been having very hot flashes on my chest neck and back of my head and i have a lot of sweats on the sole of my feet on the palms of my hands and armpits even when i feel cold i sweat.....

i booked a menopause blood test later on in the afternoon to check all my hormonal situation and will book a scan also...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Let me know the results of those tests Irene
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do u think about the sweats and heat

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Was that only after you started the antidepressant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i always had it since this situation started on and off since the tablets got worse.....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Have you had your thyroid function tested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes more than once but not recently......it was ok

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Irene this is likely premenopausal symptoms but we'll have to wait to see what your hormone tests show
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok fair enough that is what i believe too.....today i hate a lot because since this thing started my appetite went out of the window and lost 3 kilos.....so happy that i could eat a lot today xx

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Let me know the test results
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last thing.....most days since this thing started at 3 pm i always feel worse weak dizzy etc....and i read somewhere it is a time when ur hormones drop......???

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's a very typical time for this to start and yes hormone flux is most common then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello i am waiting for my blood test results......i did one on menopause and general blood and i will do another one next monday morning on the 10th of March......Just wanted you to know i have been doing Acupuncture and it is working marvels i am only at the 3rd one session and it is improving my situation already strong response even the same day....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'm a firm believer in acupuncture for a good many physical problems Irene
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh sorry i also will do a HORMONES LEVELS BLOOD TEST NEXT WEEK

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--just let me know the results when you get them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip, i did Hormones levels test and menopause etc...everything looks normal apparently but i do not trust 100% our uk national health so i will have a scan on sunday coming and another menopause blood test more specific........ALSO I KNOW NOW I HAVE MENOPAUSE AS SINCE LAST I SPOKE TO U I HAD ALL THE SYMPTOMS TERRIBLE MIGRAINES TOO MY PERIOD FLOW IS TOO LITTLE TO TOO MUCH AND SO ON. Acupuncture stopped the stress and excessive sweats and headaches got better but still if i read the menopause profile is like is talking about me entirely.

Also most importantly my mum had a problem with her ovaries which led her to menopause about the same age as me. It also happened to her mother and her sisters so.....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Irene. Was there another question you had for me about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do u think....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I still think you're in early menopause and that the further testing will show that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK THANK U FOR EVERYTHING I WILL CONTACT YOU IN THE FUTURE IF I NEED IT YOU HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL THANKS A MILLION XXX

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Irene