911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Today on WebMD Feature: " 15 cancer symptoms women ignore" Running vs. Walking f

Today on WebMD Feature: " 15 cancer symptoms women ignore" Running vs. Walking for Breast Cancer Survivors etc. etc.
In all these you get the message: Breast cancer only occurs in women, men don't have to run and don't have to bother about ignoring symptoms.
How untrue!
Klas Buring [email protected]
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC :

you are, of course, correct sir. breast cancer is rare in men but does happen.

911DOC :

I'm not sure if you have a question to ask here

911DOC :

if you do have a question please do respond

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear 911 Doc,

First thanks for a brilliant link relating to breast cancer in men. The best I have seen.

My question, or rather concern is well pointed out in the link "Can breast cancer in men be found early?". Here it is stated, that there are many similarities between breast cancer in men and women, but there are some important differences that affect finding it early:

1. Breast size

2. Lack of awareness

Point 2 is my concern:

if medical information to the public i.e. WebMD continues to treat breast cancer as a single sex disease the level of awareness will in my opinion remain at a low level.

I would thus like WebMED to make a commitment and in ALL information relating to breast cancer always mention the posibility of male breast cancer. As a simple example, show a picture of a man self examining his breast instead of a woman With all due respect to the fact, that in one case of male breast cancer there are 100-150 in women.

As you may have suspected I am a MD, PhD (orthopaedic surgery) with diagnosed breast cancer 3 years ago. In spite of my tumor being relatively small T1 it had quickly spread to the axillary nodes and after op with ax. clearance was graded N3 (19/22) thus I had both chemo and radiotherapy as well as hormone therapy i.e. Tamoxifen.

So far symptom free and back to work and full activities.

We really have to help uninformed men detect breast cancer EARLY as it so often spread much faster than in women.

Yours Sincerely,

Klas Buring MD, PhD

Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

So sorry to hear about your disease, Doc. I agree that the word is not out there, but I am not connected to Web MD in any way. I'm an ER doc who is completely outside of academia. Is there anything I can do for you today that doesn't involve getting Web MD to present male breast cancer on their site?

Best

911doc

ps i'm glad you are doing well now