Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello there, my daughter has liver problem.She has elevated

Hello there, my daughter has liver problem.She has elevated liver tests and ultrasound to determine her,that its fat on the liver.My daughter is overwaight and she has a problem to loose waight.She has hypothyroidism and she using Levothyroxine 125 mg daily. I wish to ask you, what to do to adjust her results. And second question is, that she can use Blue Green Algae organic,from health shop, who helped her with ADHD, but I worry whether it will increase her tests. She feels good, does not have any problems, only with hygher blood pressure. Thank you.
Martha
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Fat in the liver is commonly seen with hypothyroidism and also obesity.

Dr. D.J. :

So healthy diet, exercise are the major options to help normalize the liver enzymes.

Dr. D.J. :

Your daughter should continue with levothyroxine at the same dosage.

Dr. D.J. :

The blue green algae contains iodine which can sometimes reduce the action of levothyroxine.

Dr. D.J. :

So, although she may try blue green algae, this should be borne in mind.

Dr. D.J. :

Please include plentiful amounts of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables, as they have vitamin C, natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.

Avoid the saturated fats like: full-cream dairy products, margarines, processed vegetable oils (hydrogenated fats), deep fried foods, foods that are not fresh and contain rancid fats, preserved meats, animal skins and fatty meats.

Please consider oat, rice, almond or soy milks. Eat the good fats which contain essential fatty acids in their natural unprocessed form.

These are found in cold pressed vegetable and seed oils, avocados, fish (especially oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, sablefish, flounder, trout, bass and mackerel), shrimp, prawns and crayfish, raw fresh nuts, raw fresh seeds such as flaxseeds (linseeds), sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, alfalfa seeds, pumpkin seeds and legumes (beans, peas and lentils). Seeds such as flaxseeds can be ground freshly everyday (in a regular coffee grinder or food processor) and can be added to cereals, smoothies, fruit salads and vegetables. Spirulina, evening primrose oil, black currant seed oil, borage oil and lecithin also contain healthy oils to help the liver.

Please avoid butter and/or margarine on your breads and crackers. Replace them with tahini, hummus, pesto, tomato paste or relish, freshly minced garlic and cold pressed oil (chilli or other natural spices can be added if enjoyed), nut-spreads, fresh avocado or cold pressed olive oil.

The good fats are required to build healthy cell membranes around the liver cells.

Please avoid artificial chemicals and toxins such as insecticides, pesticides, and artificial sweeteners and colorings, (especially aspartame), flavorings and preservatives. Excess alcohol should be avoided.

Please consume a wide range of proteins from grains, raw nuts, seeds, legumes, eggs, seafood, and if desired, free range chicken (without the skin), and lean fresh red meats.

If you want to be vegetarian, then be sure to take supplements like, vitamin B 12 ( 1000 mcg daily), iron ( 60 mg daily), taurine and carnitine (1000mg daily) to avoid poor metabolism and fatigue. To obtain first class protein, strict vegetarians need to combine 3 of the following 4 food classes at one meal – grains, nuts, seeds and legumes; otherwise valuable essential amino acids may be deficient. If your body is lacking amino acids you will be fatigued and you may suffer with mood changes, reduced cognitive function, hypoglycemia, poor immune system and liver function and hair loss.

Please consider natural sugars from fresh fruits and juices, dried fruits, honey, molasses, fruit sorbets, fruit cakes, fruit jams, carob, date sugar, maple syrup or rice syrup. Avoid refined white sugar and candies, fizzy drinks, cakes and biscuits made with refined sugars.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Fat in the liver is commonly seen with hypothyroidism and also obesity.
Dr. D.J. : So healthy diet, exercise are the major options to help normalize the liver enzymes.
Dr. D.J. : Your daughter should continue with levothyroxine at the same dosage.
Dr. D.J. : The blue green algae contains iodine which can sometimes reduce the action of levothyroxine.
Dr. D.J. : So, although she may try blue green algae, this should be borne in mind.
Dr. D.J. : Please include plentiful amounts of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables, as they have vitamin C, natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to still ask you about Blue Green algae.I read the references on internet, that it can cause inflammation of the liver. Do you think, that this is not the case of my daughter, because I'm tired of giving her Blue G.algae about a months ago. Tests already have enhanced before, just I do not know if it is higher, or not. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Pure blue green algae are safe for the liver.
However, contaminated blue green algae can cause damage to the liver.
Hence purity of the product is important.

Best wishes