Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My wife is 46 and been in constant pain for over a year and

My wife is 46 and been in constant pain for over a year and now can hardly walk, can't work or do much at all she has eventually been diagnosed with Prolapsed L4 & L5 discs and prolapsed bowel and bladder and maybe womb (which they are a bit unclear about) she is keep getting different tablets which aren't really helping but is suffering from shakes in right leg and right leg being hard to move at times giving her pains in the groin as well and has an ache from hip down to her foot and is now starting to get flutters of pain in her left leg. She is on waiting lists to go to a pain clinic and is hoping to see a specialst in a month or so but is totally depressed with it all and we don't seem to be getting anywhere she is currently coming off gabapentin and is going onto Solifenacin. Just don't know what to do to help her is it worth trying to go private as have little faith of this getting sorted on the NHS but have very little funds. HELP.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Where exactly is the pain located?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the severity of the pain?

Customer:

At this moment it is at the top of her leg and all the way down her leg to the sole of her foot.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that a private consultation with a pain medicine specialist may help because a cortisone injection in the back can help tremendously.

Customer:

And can feel the pain in her lower back pain is strong at the minute but isn't always as strong it comes and goes but is always there in some way

Customer:

her Doctors are very reluctant to give her the injection as she has been told about how good it can be but they fob her off with tablets

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think she is already on maximal drug therapy.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If that has not helped then she will require an intervention

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I think that in her case an injection is well worth it

Customer:

How do you go about getting a private consultation and can the pain be linked with the trapped nerve and bowel and bladder prolapses

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that the prolapses are related

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should just google private clinics in your area or call inquiry

Dr. Shahzad MD :

where are you located?

Customer:

If we go private for the injection will this not effect the treatment she will receive on the Nhs. I just need to do something to help her could it be something else is going on as well. I feel as if she should start from scratch and get a proper diagnosis as over a year in pain is not good.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think she has had an MRI done already which stated that she had an L4 L5 prolapse is that right?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the diagnosis is there, I mean it has been made. Its now a matter of treating it.

Customer:

She has had physio to try and untrap the nerve.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She has had physio and all the medications that you mentioned which have not helped

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the next step is an intervention like an injection to see if that helps.

Customer:

is a injection just covering it up. is Fixing the problem possible

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A cortisone injection is something that will reduce inflammation around the nerve.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its something that can help tremendously.

Customer:

They just don't want to give her the injection she has practically begged them for it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that a private doctor may be more considerate because this is the last option before considering surgery.

Customer:

Her right leg has been causing her the most problems but it is moving to the left as well I just need to get this sorted but don't know where to go. will going private effect her Nhs treatment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It should not effect her NHS.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A patient has all the right to get treatment from anywhere so it should not affect the NHS treatment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

my wife is reluctant to go private as thinks it should be done on the nhs but I just want her free of pain. do you know what the cost would foughly be?

Customer:

roughly sorry

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am not sure, but I think that calling a private clinic in the area will help with all the information. It varies considerably from place to place.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I think that you should go ahead and call a pain clinic near your area.

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine