Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dear Doctor, My son 10 years old with a long history of

Dear Doctor,

My son 10 years old with a long history of asthma nose allergy and tonsil. in general severe allergy in upper and lower respiratory system. when he was born only 10 days he was diagnosed with pneumonia and admitted hospital treated by antibiotic through I v. then the asthma continued. he had a deviation in the nose bone when I did a CT Scan. I did for the lungs recently it was normal. but he always suffers from bronchitis and trachea allergy and inflammation which cause severe cough. he is on serritude 50 2 puffs in the morning and 2 puffs in the evening along with singulaire 5 mg. when the asthma is severe he uses nebulizer every 4 hours with 0.7 ventoline plus 2 normal saline and flexotiude 2 ml ampule then the dose descend according to improvement. I didn't see and improvement with serritudee. or simpycort. the asthma keeps attacking him sometimes he is given clacide tablets 250. even they tried dexol syrup Medrol I didn't see any improvement. I did the allergy test and he was diagnosed with chronic asthma only no allergy from specific substances. with the nebulizer sometimes he improves. the problem now he is suffering from severe cough especially at night with mucus difficult to get rid of. sometimes he has post nasal dripping treated with cortisone nasal drops.
This is the main problem the second problem is that he had fever (39 to 40 degree) on 22nd of Dec 2013. was given co-max mepha and did not improve after 4 days I took him to pediatric he did blood test to diagnose the fever white blood cells were normal lymphocyte abnormal somehow he said this is bacteria or viral then he changed to clacid 250 tabs twice a day. after 2 days he was ok three days later he had leg muscles weakness unable to walk or bear weight on his leg. no rash no fever. I did blood test Ck was normal it was repeated 4 times and it was normal. all blood test were normal. I did MRI for head spine and spine and hips. bone marrow was normal. every thing is normal.
they did antinuclear was normal. liver function and protein were normal. I did nerve muscle test . no GBS. I saw neurologist, orthopedic everything is normal but he still can not walk normally. he walks with frame. and now on physiotherapy.
please can I get the right diagnosis and the right treatment.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It is impossible to make a diagnosis over the internet, as we can neither examine the person or perform any diagnostic tests. However, we can discuss possible diagnoses, if that would be helpful. Please let us know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

I haven'trecieved the reply to my answee yet. Plz

I sent a request for information and have not heard back regarding that request.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks.GBS was excluded. Lukemiatoo.Ckwad normal checkedmany times. I saw nurologist toonithung wrong. What might be the problem. Canit be from the long term use of flexotiude innebulixer andventoline . Steroid was beingused onand off. Syru.

Since you have asked for a response, I will address your question in the only way that can be done over the internet. I realize that you have asked if you can get the right diagnosis, but a specific diagnosis cannot be done over the internet, as I noted previously.

You were correct to look for Guillain-Barre syndrome, as this is the most common cause of leg weakness after an acute infection. Since this was not present, it would be appropriate to consider several other conditions that are in the differential diagnosis of Guillain-Barre. It could be related to a primary problem within the spinal cord, such as transverse myelitis or spinal cord syndrome. It could be a problem of the peripheral nerves, such as a polyneuropathy or peripheral neuropathy. It also could be related to inflammation in the blood vessels that serve these structure, a type of vasculitis. It also could be a primary problem with the muscles. It is possible to develop muscle weakness from long-term use of steroids. It is more often seen with long-term use of oral steroids, but has been reported with inhaled steroids.

In a situation in which the appropriate specialists have been seen and are unable to arrive at a diagnosis, the usual next step would be to be seen at a medical school/teaching hospital. The physicians at these facilities have more experience in evaluating unusual conditions and clarifying difficult diagnoses.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks alot Dr. Useful information

You're welcome. I hope that he gets better soon.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.