DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

For the past 2months I have been suffering from itching and

For the past 2months I have been suffering from itching and formication of my vulva area as well as post urination burning. I have been tested for yeast infection, and all STI's and a UTI. All negative. I have also had camera look at bladder and uterus. I have had ultrasound of kidneys and bladder, all clear.
I have given numerous blood samples and all are fine.
My urine samples always contain a microscopic amount of blood which always gets mentioned but is yet not explained.
I was treated for anaemia back in September. For this i was given a 2unit blood transfusion followed by a course of iron tablets.
A private gynaecologist has hypothosised that it could be a insulin resistant/hormone imbalance. We have altered diet and started treatment of metformin and climavel 1mg to balance out the insulin and oestrogen levels. This treatment has yet to take affect.
The symptoms are constant and consuming my life and I need help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
How long have you been on the metformin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Two weeks, 500mg once a day taken in the evening.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If the hypothesis is correct it could take weeks to months to get better.
Itching without an overt rash has a large differential, and I have rarely seen a doctor check for everything.

Iron deficiency
Liver or kidney disease
Diabetes or other hormonal issue.
Alcohol or other toxins.
Parasites.
Hidden infection.
Hidden cancer.
Polycythemia very.
Autoimmune diseases.
Allergy.
Heavy metal toxicity.

I suggest that you work with an internist or functional medicine doctor who is trained in looking at the whole picture here. I would guess that all of these possibilities have not been investigated.

You should have a microalbumin checked on the urine, to make sure you don't have early stage kidney problems.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could all symptoms be related?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The blood in the urine is most likely march hematuria. Benign and not related to the rest.

If there is positive microalbumin, then kidney disease could relate all symptoms.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would microalbumin be picked up in a kidney function test. The reason I ask is that in the last couple of minutes I have gone through my records of all tests done and apparently my GP did send blood sample off on the 9th of January to test for kidney function.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
NO
It is a urine test.
A kidney function test does not pick up early kidney disease.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just had a thought, the symptoms aren't present during the night. They only come on during the morning and last most of the day. Would this behavior of the symptoms rule out some of the conditions/ possible diagnosis' that you listed in your second reply?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
But, it would tend to indicate that it is exertional which makes me thing of hormonal, allergy....