Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 73 years old and am taking .300mg Premarin tablets. I

I am 73 years old and am taking .300mg Premarin tablets. I had a saplingo-oophrectomy 17 years ago at age 57. One of my ovaries which was not functional had attached to the abdominal wall; hence the planned 'key hole' surgery was not possible and a decision was made in the operating theatre to do an abdominal incision instead. Apparently there was evidence of endometriosis in the attached ovary. I took .600 mg Premarin from 1997 to 2012 when I reduced the dosage to .300 mg. My sister has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I had a first cousin and a paternal great-aunt with the same diagnosis. Should I stop taking any HRT? I tried to stop 3 weeks ago and am now having hot flashes. After lots of reading and research, I am still not certain what is the best course. Thanks very much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you get regular mammograms and are they normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Last one was May 2013. Normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Arlene. Considering your age now and with normal mammograms in the past I would have no problem with your continuing the Premarin because at this stage I think your chances of developing breast cancer from that are nearly zero. Here's an article about that for you and if you have any other questions, please just ask me

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Menopause/3041
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have just read the article you recommended. It is dated 2006 and refers to the WHI trial which the current NHS website says was not valid. Also the recommendation is for a low dose for 2-3 years. As I explained, I have been taking estrogen for 17 years. Do you still think I should continue taking estrogen at a low dose?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I still see no reason for you not to continue to take the Premarin Arlene. My point being that at your age and with the length of time you've taken it there would be little doubt in my mind that continuing it at this point would not put you at risk. Naturally I'd expect you to discuss this with your doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, but the reason I am so concerned is that my sister who is 78 and who has had a hysterectomy was taking .625 mg of estrogen and she has breast cancer. Her surgeon told her to stop the estrogen when she was diagnosed and said that 'cancer loves estrogen'.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
True that certain breast cancers are estrogen receptor positive and would "love" estrogen. Again, though, with regular mammograms and exams I still think you aren't at risk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. Your answer is reassuring.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Arlene but please remember to rate my service to you