Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello, I have a question regarding HIV. I had an unprotected

I have a question regarding HIV.

I had an unprotected sexual encounter recently.

I'm a male and my partner was female. I don't know her. It's just someone randomly met so I can't be sure of her HIV status.

We performed unprotected oral sex both ways. We didn't have penetrative sex but did rub our penis and vagina together without a condom.

I had a cold and bad cough for about two weeks leading up to this event and was just starting to recover.

The next day I sat in the cold outside for about 2 hours took a long haul flight and was very tired after.

2 days after the event I had swollen glands in my neck, which is not that uncommon for me but they were more swollen more than usual and I had a very sore throat with difficulty and pain swallowing. These symptoms lasted around 7 days gradually getting better each day.

2 weeks after the event I suffered mild Diarrhoea for about 2 days.

During this whole period I was working strenuous shifts which threw my body out of pattern and travelled quite a lot to different time zones and different climates.

What I'd like to know is, what are the chances that these symptoms are more related to tiredness and the fact that I was recovering from a cold and cough that I may have exacerbated, or what are the chances it may be the initial stages of HIV?

My concerns are from the glands in my neck swelling, and the sore throat, but this was only 2 days after the event, and the diarrhoea 2 weeks after the event.

Many thanks in advance for your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Have you underwent any test so far?
Do you have fever?
Any loss of weight?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No loss of weight
No fever
It was only 3 weeks ago so no test yet
Dear customer

Thanks for the fast info given.I had started working your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in 20 minutes.However I will try my best to give you answer ASAP.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Robert
Dear customer,
Thank you for staying online.

The symptoms you are having does not seem to be due to HIV infection.There is very slim chance for you to get HIV this way.

Firstly there was no sexual intercourse.Your penis was not inserted in her vagina,although there was rubbing without a condom,but exchange of fluids is required for HIV to pass on(which is less likely to be due to rubbing of genitals).

Following can be the symptoms of HIV infection:

-Fever that lasts from a few days with no other disease present and no other obvious cause,

-Prolonged periods of chills and sweats,

-Chronic or long-lasting fatigue for which other causes have been ruled out.

-Lack of energy,

-Weight loss,

-Frequent fevers and sweats,

-Diarrhea

-Oral thrush,recurring yeast infections.

The enlarged glands is most likely because of throat infection from flu & gets subside as the infection will go away.

The tiredness is most likely because of your long haul flight and/or due to past infection of bad cold.

The mild diarrhoea you had for about 2 days can be due to travelling different time zones and different climates/eating outside/stomach flu/food poisoning.

We have explanation for every symptom as of now.It is quite unlikely to get symptoms like sore throat just after 2 days of your sexual incidence.

So I am pretty sure,that this does not seem to be due to HIV infection.

Also I would advise you to get it tested by your doctor to rule out it & put your mind at ease.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your explanation. It's as I suspected. Puts my mind at ease. I will get tested once at home.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Yes,you need to get it tested to rule out it completely & can have sense of relaxation.If it comes out to be negative,then a repeat test 3 months after your exposure is required.The result you get after 3 months will be 99% certain.

Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you had tested for HIV?
Is there anything else that I can help you out?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert