Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

For the past 3-4 months I have had a radiating pain approximately

For the past 3-4 months I have had a radiating pain approximately 2-3 inches directly below my left rib cage.

I have had blood and stool tests that have come back as normal. The pain is gradually becoming uncomfortable I would say it tends to be most pronounced directly after eating or drinking.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.

Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Have you underwent ultrsound(sonography) of abdomen?

Do you have any known medical illness?

Do you ever had black stool or red blood in stool?

Do you have burning pain/discomfort in center of chest down the throat?

I am waiting for your reply..

Kind Regards,

Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Doctor,

No ultrasound.

I had my gall bladder removed some years ago.

No blood or black on stools - but I will check more often!

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The area you have described is called left hypochondrium(left upper quadrant) in medical terms.

The pain you have described approximately 2-3 inches below your left rib cage since last 3-4 months can be due to various causes like:gastritis,gastric ulcer,pancreatitis,diseases of the colon,distension of the splenic flexure of the colon and some other rare causes.

Gastritis and/or gastric ulcer seems to be the most probable cause.Gastritis is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.It is caused by a various causes like physical stresses, social habits, chemicals, and infections,excessive use of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

This pain usually aggravates after eating or drinking anything.This is a typical symptom of gastritis.

You need following tests:

-Ultrasound of upper abdomen,
-Endoscopy/Gastroscopy or EGD,
-Barium meal studies

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your gastro doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then you can take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert