Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi Dr Phil, I have some specific questions about HPV and

Hi Dr Phil,

I have some specific questions about HPV and Cancer, are you able to help?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Sure I can help. What's up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got my rapid hiv and hepatitis test back and it was all clear (yes you were right thankfully!)

But I am no worried about HPV, I hear there are no clear ways of knowing about this and that there are some nasty strains of it.

We discussed a viral sore throat I had 7 days after potential exposure, I still have this 1 week and 3 days on although it has got a lot better. It doesnt hurt to swallow or anytthing and i have no other symptoms. It is just a big uncomfortable and I still feel a build up in my throat of something but its not unpleasant just not usual.

I am worried about penis, anal and neck cancer as a possible result of HPV infection. I have had anal fissures and a haemorroid in the past about a year ago but this week it has been a little bit uncomfortable and I did bleed once after voiding the other day.

unfortunately there is no test for HPV

you are 26 so you can still get the HPV vaccine.

I would recommend that for sure
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i thought that was for girls only?

Nope. It is approved for men now too

Other than condoms and no sex, it's the only thing ytou can do David
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ive really learnt my lesson. condoms all the way.

would cancers latch on so fast after an exposure or do they typically take time to develop after infection?if so, will the vaccine help post infection?

No, they take years to come on.

Yes, the vaccine can help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so taking the vaccine post infection can get rid of hpv or just prevent cancers?

yes it can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive looked up places to get it in the UK and they say gardasil has no effect on active hpv infections.

That is not correct

Get it

There are many strains and it can prevent a bunch of different kinds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it can prevent them but what if I already have them? That is my concern. The vaccine wont help post-exposure?

There is apparently no test for it so there isn't much I can do. But if I get a sore throat one week after exposure, you wouldn't think that this is the onset of throat cancer as a result of HPV??

No, it will not help a strain you already have but your own immune system can clear that.

No, it would not affect you this soon. Not possible
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to find somewhere in the uk that will give it to me, but i will persist. Ive just been reading about strains that cause penile, anal and throat cancer. Why does this happen if our immune system can deal with it?

not every immune system can handle all the strains but many can

Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)