Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello I hope u can help. I have traumatic encephalopathy

I hope u can help.
I have traumatic encephalopathy of the brain which consists of arrested hydrocephalus, dilated lateral ventricles with which I was born as my mother had toxaemia and I had to be brought two months prematurely. In addition to this, upon getting married at the age of 27, I was beaten very severely around my head for 17 yrs by my x husband which caused a basal infarction and vascular disease and bad circulation of the brain. My Neurologist in Spain said my headaches are migraine and are caused by my condition. I have seen different Neurologists since my return to the UK in 1999. The last one I saw came up with the diagnosis Medication Overuse Headache which he thinks is caused by my tramadol which I totally disagree with. He refused to see me again as I wouldn't come off my tramadol. I know that they rid my migraine headaches not give me them. I saw a different Neurologist on Wednesday who unfortunately has the same opinion and also wants me to try coming off my tramadol so he can establish the type of migraine it is. Although I am very reluctant to do this, I have agreed, although I know myself that my tramadol gets rid of my migraines. I know the Spanish Neurologist is right and the others are wrong with this ridiculous med ov use headache, but I cannot make them see this. I take my tramadol on a daily basis one in the morning and two at night. They do me no harm. I am desperate because of this and it stresses me up very much which I shouldn't be. What do you think?
Linda
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Linda. Why is it important for your doctors to establish the type of migraine you have--is it to try a different medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Chip
Because they think its my Tramadols that are the cause of my migraine. Yes they want to see how my headaches are without them in my system and to then give me something different. I know how They will be, very very bad but they just don't believe this all I need is to be under the care of a Neaurologist for my head. My Spanish neurologist told me this that I must see a Neurologist in the Uk for regular follow ups. That's all I want, but I keep getting this stupid medication overuse thing with th and it really does drive me crazy.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Linda. Exactly how long have you been using the Tramadol and how often now do you take it? Have you kept on the same dose and frequency for some time now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doctor
I was first given Tramadol back in 2006 when I was hospitalised for severe inflammation due to gall stones. I was taking 2 a couple of times a day. After my gall bladder was removed, I took one in the morning and two at night and kept wit it as I found them to be good and suited me. My brain condition also causes Irratible Bowel Syndrome. I also have urinary incontinence and frequent urine infections which I under a Urologist for and the Neurologist I saw Wed said it could be my brain condition causing it. The Urologists Understudy said he thought it is, but the top one doesn't think it is, but the Neurologist thinks it could be. I also have Arthritis of the whole of my spine and inflammation of the Duodenum and Mastopathy of the breasts. I get enough pain without asking me to be in more with my head.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and so far with the same number of Tramadol pills on a daily basis your pain is under control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Linda. Sorry for all the questions here. So are you asking me whether I agree with your doctors that you should come off the Tramadol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I want to know what you think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. I personally would not ask you to stop the Tramadol since it is working for you and you haven't had to increase your dosage. It is true that there can be a paradoxical effect of long term pain medication where it actually starts to worsen the pain and in effect cause the pain but that doesn't seem to be the case with you. Why rock the boat when the sea is calm, so to speak. Hopefully a UK Neurologist will agree with me and let well enough alone
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.