Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My mum is 78 years old and had surgery for a Pharyngeal Pouch

Customer Question

My mum is 78 years old and had surgery for a Pharyngeal Pouch in her throat 18 months ago. The surgery was not successful, fear and the pain she endured prevented her from returning for help. She is now back in hospital after not being able to have food or liquids for some months. Obviously she became very ill. A Barium X ray confirmed the pouch has reformed and the consultant was shocked. He cannot perform another operation untill he comes back from his holiday and meanwhile he suggests feeding her by pipe to the stomach. I am very angry and concerned that my mum requires this operation asap. I feel she is being made to suffer untill he returns to work. Are my concerns justified and could I ask for her to be attended too if I pay private. My mum is depressed afraid and anxious and the long wait will not help the situation.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry about your mum.

Dr. David :

yes, you do have the option to ask to consult a private ENT surgeon

Dr. David :

how much longer does your mum have to wait?

Customer:

My mum has been in hospital since Wednesday will all the information be passed on to the private consultant? My mums consultant does not return untill 10 March.

Dr. David :

you will have to get her to a private consultant somehow.

Dr. David :

I am not sure if a private consultant will be able to see her while she is in the hospital.

Dr. David :

have you talked to one of the hospital administrators there to see if she has any other options to see any other ENT surgeons?

Dr. David :

I would talk to the hospital administrators there and vent your frustration about her having to wait.

Dr. David :

there must be another doctor or surgeon who is covering

Customer:

I was going to request a meeting tomorrow and express my concerns with the staff. My mum is so depressed, afraid and anxious I fear for her. I cannot see her piped up and fed untill this man returns we have not been given any other option. Do you think my concerns are justified?

Dr. David :

yes, your concerns are justified.

Dr. David :

10 days to be waiting for a holiday is silly.

Dr. David :

there must be another doctor who can cover or another option to pay for a private surgeon.

Dr. David :

you do have to speak up for your mother.

Dr. David :

and request a meeting with the hospital administrators.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

I hope you get some headway on this.

Customer:

My mum has become very ill and has been on constant drips but the wait is stupid. The consultant saw her this morning and was shocked he has had a 100% success rate with this operation and my mum is the first patient he has had with the reforming of the pouch. Could the pouch be removed to prevent this happening again? or do you think he will perform the same surgery?

Dr. David :

hopefully this pouch can be repaired in this second try.

Dr. David :

her healing ability might not be very good so that is why the surgery was not successful the first time.

Dr. David :

she might need more nutrition and protein and vitamins in her system to be able to heal well for a successful surgery.

Dr. David :

nutrition and healing play a big part in the success of a surgery.

Dr. David :

surgery in older patients are also riskier because of their age.

Dr. David :

and older patients do not heal as well as younger patients.

Dr. David :

also if she has a history of smoking or diabetes, this can affect the success of a surgery as well.

Customer:

Mum has been a very healthy person, no smoking, no other ailments. So they will not remove the pouch entiley? I feel the hospital may say she needs to be built up for the surgery but this is confusing because her surgeon is on holiday now? Do you advise I go private?Please can I get a print of our conversation to show to my brother?

Dr. David :

yes, you can print this out by the print screen or print page option on your browser file tab

Dr. David :

I would have a meeting with the administrators as soon as you can and ask about other doctors who can do the surgery

Dr. David :

and ask if a private ENT doctor can see your mum in the hospital.

Dr. David :

I am glad he is healthy.

Dr. David :

they should try to remove the entire pouch if possible.

Dr. David :

if they say she needs to be built up, they should have recommended this prior to her first failed surgery.

Dr. David :

also you need to see if they have been checking her weight before and after the surgery to see if she is truly gaining weight or not.

Dr. David :

hopefully she is gaining weight if they truly want her to be "built up"

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and her

Dr. David :

yes, you can show this conversation with your brother

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

positive feedback is how we get credit for helping clients here.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have any other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me with other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Customer:

In the late hour you have been very helpful. I am very worried. Thank you.

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and her.

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician