Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi. I have an ovarian cyst which I am having removed shortly.

Hi. I have an ovarian cyst which I am having removed shortly. However, a few weeks ago I suffered from a very severe headache which lasted about 6 hours. At the hospital I had a lumbar puncture and CT scan to rule out a brain bleed and meningitis. Since then, the pain has subsided a lot however I am still getting a few stabbing pains in my head and my scalp is very sensitive. I am dizzy, tired a lot and for the last 4 or 5 days have been nauseous a lot. I have never had any of this happen before and was wondering could this be caused by my large ovarian cyst?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

A simple ovarian cyst will not cause systemic symptoms, such as headache or dizziness. It is possible that an ovarian cyst can cause nausea, particularly if causing pain in the abdomen and pelvis. If the cyst is part of a larger condition called polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), systemic symptoms can occur, although headache and dizziness are still not common symptoms.

It is more likely that the headache is a separate problem. It is true that the most common cause of headache, a muscle contraction headache, can be associated with any physical or emotional stress on the body, which is why it is sometimes called a tension headache. In this context, any physical illness, including an ovarian cyst and anticipation of surgery, can contribute to the headache, but it is not a direct effect of the cyst.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I see that this question is still open, so am not sure whether you have received and reviewed the answer. If you desire any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. I was enquiring about the headache as I just thought that it was an odd timing. The headache that I had was very severe and very painful and just thought it was odd. I don't really know how to describe it.

I seem to be having one thing after another at the moment. The dizziness and tender scalp (especially when I am lying down or brushing/washing my hair) is still present but I will have to see my GP about that I guess as my medication as ran out and the symptoms are still there.

Thank you for your assistance. I was just trying to clarify my symptoms/ailments as my employer wanted to know why I had been off work previously but couldn't really give them a definitive answer as headache sounded so simple, when it hurt a lot, lot worse than an average headache.

Samantha.

As I said above, a simple ovarian cyst would not directly cause systemic symptoms, such as a headache. However, the stress of any physical illness, including an ovarian cyst and anticipation of pending surgery can contribute towards a muscle contraction headache, so there could be an indirect association.