Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

lump like feeling upper throat either side? There are times when I feel like a fish out of

Customer Question

lump like feeling upper throat either side? There are times when I feel like a fish out of water, and then suddenly it eases. The sensation or feeling, as I cant tell if there is an actual lump will always change, it does not depend on what I have eaten or at any point in time. Generally speaking they feel to be at the top of the throat, starting from under the ears, under the jawline to around to the chin. I have no fever symptons, today I have been extrememly cold. THis has been on going, on and off from 23rd Dec, when I went to my doc then he suggested it was tonsillitis. (which I have never had). I find it very hard to get an app with my doc and at times over this weekend, when its been its worst I have contemplated going to A&E. I have also noticed in the last two days I am belching more frequesntly than ever, which isnt something I do often so I notice as its unusual. It scares me and leads me to having some mild to pretty full on anxiety attacks, worse at night as I live alone.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

the burping can be a sign of acid reflux or stomach acid producing excessive stomach acid.

Dr. David :

also excessive anxiety can cause a lump in your throat as well

Dr. David :

are you on medications to help calm down your anxiety?

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

nope, its never been an issue before

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

burping could also be a sign of reduced stomach acid and poor digestion

Dr. David :

I think this lump in your throat is from anxiety

Dr. David :

if are you getting anxiety attacks you need some medications to treat anxiety

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

but the anxiety only began after the lump feeling came into play

Dr. David :

well, it would be more likely that the anxiety is causing the lump in your throat.

Dr. David :

you can see an ENT doctor and get a throat scope procedure, but I bet it will look normal.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

if anxiety caused the "lump feeling" would it be central or would it appear rather random

Dr. David :

it could be anywhere in your throat.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

yes, i am sure it would as my doc told me he couldnt see anything but said it could be tonsiilittis forming

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

and it could just come and go as it pleases, regardless of the mood I am in ?

Dr. David :

yes, the lump in your throat can come and go depending on your anxiety.

Dr. David :

worse anxiety can cause a lump feeling in your throat.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

it doesnt quite ring true for me, I am not aware of being anxious about anything that would have produced the lump sensation in the first place. I have become anxious because of this feeling

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

well, if your doctor thinks it is tonsilitis, then you might benefit from a course of antibiotics.

Dr. David :

antibiotics would treat tonsilitis.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

i have actually tried to do some exercises, ie improve heart rate to get the blood and lymph moving around, and found the lump feeling to be increased, and the following day I feel so completely washed out. But it has not become tonsilitis I never actually had a sore throat or cold like symptoms, only now well the last two weeks am I aware of a post nasal drip

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

post nasal drip and allergies can cause a lump in your throat as well

Dr. David :

a nasal steroid spray and allergy medications can help decrease post nasal drip

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

how?

Dr. David :

and that can help as well.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

how can they cause a lump sensation?

Dr. David :

by stopping or decreasing post nasal drip

Dr. David :

which can irritate your throat.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

but that doesnt exactly get to the root cause of the problem, its just masking the origin I would need to work out what is causing a post nasal drip.
if they irritate the throat, how does that cause the lump to be there, then not, swiftly in time?

Dr. David :

most likely allergies are causing your post nasal drip.

Dr. David :

or mold or dust in your house

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

could that also lead to dizzy spells, nothing major just a quick spin in my head

Dr. David :

that is most likely the anxiety causing dizzy spells

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

hmm - in someways that could make some senze but again I have never had allergies as such

Dr. David :

it is hard to think clearly when you have excessive anxiety.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

sorry this keeps leading me to more and more questions

Dr. David :

it is still important for you to talk to your doctor about your anxiety.

Dr. David :

and getting your anxiety and panic attacks treated to help calm this down.

Dr. David :

or else you keep running in circles with your thinking.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

:-) but the anxiety is caused by the lump sensations

Dr. David :

I think you have that the wrong way around.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

yes, indeed I do run round in circles right now, but I wish i know what I was anxious about to cause the lump, if you want me to turn it about. I was a happy go lucky person, quite peacefully and happily going about my business, when i have a lump sensation in my throat

Dr. David :

I think you have an anxiety disorder which causes you to be anxious

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

i do go to the doctor as its just before xmas and we know how things shut down for at least a week, he suggests tonsillitis, I use the horrble stuff prescribed, and the lump sensation is still there

Dr. David :

you don't need a reason to be anxious when you have an anxiety disorder.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

interesting, and this anxiety disorder just appears out of no where?

Dr. David :

yes.

Dr. David :

I would talk to your doctor about medications to decrease anxiety

Dr. David :

I have to run out for now.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

not in my book really

Dr. David :

if you have other question

Dr. David :

please leave them here.

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

oh, always

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

as I am more confused

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

but you said you had to go off

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

maybe I can chat again later

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

are you there, I cant sign out and go to bed until I have left my rating

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

and you are supposedly still answering so I cant leave my rating

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

HEY!!! anyone out there?

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

but hey, I cant leave a rating so that just out of order!

JACUSTOMER-kftsw2m9- :

most defintely an unsmiley face where as you may have had an okay before! Nah, I shall have to have a complaint and hope you dont take the full deposit. But thank you for your time. It could be some logic in what you have to say, but I am not sure about the solutions provided.

Dr. David :

sorry for the delay.

Dr. David :