Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 54 years old and in all my life I have been very active

I am 54 years old and in all my life I have been very active and involved in many sports such us windsurfing , cycling , snowboarding. I had neck and low back pain for the last 10 years.
A year ago i had a necksurgery and I changed 2 dics, with a 100%success.
For my back problem(stenosis)I have tried for years several treatments special phusio, chyropractic, even epidural injection. But with no significant result. For the last year now I had to minimize all my sports activities hopefully that would help me. But still the same.
I have discussed with my neuro doctor that he made my neck surgery what to do in order to solve this problem , and still being able to continue with the sports i used to do before. He tolt me that because
those 2 discs are very much damaded all these physio etc i have tried will not solve my problem.
Therefore I have decided to go also for the lower back surgery.3 weeks ago had 2 disc fusion ( alterior) on L4-L5 , L5 -i1. Now I have very little back pain. But for a week now I have a very strong pain on my nerve from the left back allthe way down. Iam afraid that particular nerve was effected before the surgery is still trapt. My surgeon told me not to worry, and after couple of weeks that I will be able to start with some special physion this sciatica problem will go away.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the symptom that is bothering you the most at the moment? Is it the sciatica pain?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had a repeat MRI after surgery to have a look to see if the nerve is trapped?

Customer:

Is the sciatica, with a very little mack pain . I can walk very well, but if I stand for a while or seat for too long it hearts me allthe way down. The strongest pain is where my gets culf muscle is. It gets better whenI lye in bet and it gets away only if I take some parcoten 500

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that it is most likely a nerve pain i.e. sciatica.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can happen even without back pain.

Customer:

So far did not

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can happen due to inflammation after surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

For this inflammation a cortisone injection into the path of the sciatic nerve may help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So a cortisone injection here may help a lot.

Customer:

I did not have any MRi after surgery. Do you think I should have one?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should have one, yes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would like that you should have a cortisone injection as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I mean the epidural cortisone injection.

Customer:

Okey, I will talk to my surgeon.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A pain medicine specialist or your surgeon for the injection.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

Are these nerve problem after back surgery a common issue? And for how long last?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes its very common and it usually lasts for four to eight weeks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So hopefully things should improve in due course of time.

Customer:

Thank you for your response. But really was thought that the low back surgery was not going to be so much more complicated compare to the neck surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand but sometimes after back surgery symptoms take a few weeks to a few months to go away completely.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I am very hopeful that things should settle soon.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions.

Customer:

From your experience after how many months I will be able to start doing my spots?

Customer:

Ihave started doing windsurfing cycling etc. 3 months after my neck surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It usually takings about four to eight weeks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Around the same time it took after neck surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Sorry for delayed response.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

Thank you .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know if the doctor above is a neurospine surgeon or a general practitioner?