Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have very itchey skin all over the body under arm and the

I have very itchey skin all over the body under arm and the groan. I have black mark
under the arms and both side of the groan. I have been to my Dr. he has given me
Lyclear creme rinse118ml. and Atarax 25mg. tablets. I take 1 tablet at night but it
gets worst at night with very bad itch and red skin. I HAVE APPLIED DOUBLE BASE
GEL AND OLIVE OIL ALL OVER THE BODY IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT BUT IT DOES NOT HELP. I had dormant T. B. treatment three month a go for a year. I am on METAMORFINE
1000 DOES IN THE MORNING AND 1000 AT NIGHT.I have been taking the medicine
since I was 55 years of age. NOW MY AGE IS 67.My skin gets very dry even though I
apply gel and olive oil.PLEASE HELP ME.THANK YOU.This is since last one month.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I cannot find metamorfine, although drugs may go by different names in different countries. Is this metformin, a drug to help control blood sugar?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am diebatic and as such metamorfine is use for control

blood sugar. I can not sleep due to unbereble itching.

How well controlled is the blood sugar?
What was your last HgbA1c?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Blood sugar level goes up and down 5.5 .,10 and some time more.

with fasting it was on 31 oct.2013 was 8.7 mm0l /L. U.K.MESURMENT.

Without fasting it was on 07 Feb. 2014A1c level it was Haemoglobin-A1c

level .IFCC standardised Xapbt. Above range 54mmmol/mol

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

Dry skin is actually one of the most common causes of diffuse itching. Interventions to hydrate the skin are the usual interventions. If a moisturising lotion and olive oil has not helped, then the usual next step that I recommend is to soak in salt water, which will help add salt into the skin and water will passively follow. This can be done with simple table salt in bath water or Epsom salts. After drying from soaking in the salt water, a moisturising cream can be applied to the entire body.

I ask about the control of the diabetes because diabetes will frequently contribute to dry skin. In someone with persistent dry skin and diabetes that is not well controlled, then more aggressive treatment of the diabetes would be reasonable. You are on a maximum dose of metformin, so it may be necessary to discuss adding another medicine for the diabetes with your doctor.

Diabetes also can contribute to a sensation of itching by affect the function of the peripheral nerves in the body. If other interventions are not successful, then it may help to suppress the firing of these nerves, such as with gabapentin or pregabalin.

The other issue to consider is whether there is a persistent infection of the skin. The Lyclear prescribed by your doctor is for an infection of the skin, which would seem to indicate that there was some finding on exam that suggested such an infection. If there is an inadequate response to Lyclear, then it would be appropriate to consider a different medicine, such as Lindane.

In your case, given your description of the dry skin, I would focus first on efforts to improve hydration, including better control of the diabetes.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.