DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

Im prematurely balding since 17, I am now 20. I have no bald

I'm prematurely balding since 17, I am now 20. I have no bald relatives, however my father has diabetes and I suspect my mother may have pcos as she had two miscarriages. I read online that insulin resistence can cause extra androgens like in pcos and the pcos gene can be passed to me. I have had 3 fasting glucose readings of 4.8 4.7 and 4.5. However I understand these don't say much about insulin sensitivity, do you think it could be a reason for my hair loss?
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.

These glucose readings are completely normal. The range is 4 to 6.
There is nothing here to suggest you have insulin resistance which tends to be a condition of middle age anyway.
There is no real evidence here that your mother has PCOS. Many, many women have miscarriages,as many as 1 in 3, so unless your mother has had a formal diagnosis of PCOS you cannot assume she has this.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.