Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Since I turned 16 I have been struggling with ance on my back

Since I turned 16 I have been struggling with ance on my back and chest. I was put on the contraceptive pill by my GP to combat it and it did work, however I came off the pill after complications arose regarding my menstrual cycle. In between time I have lost weight and started a job as a firefighter so I obviously spend quite a bit of time in heavy, non breathable kit. I have tried various over the counter creams, changing my diet ect but nothing seems to work. I don't want to go back onto the contraceptive pill. Is there anything that you can recommend to help me?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
To know what options remain, it is necessary to know what has been tried.
Can you list what creams have been tried?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Without knowing what has been tried, it is difficult to know what next option should be considered, so will outline several common steps.

The usual first-line treatment is topical benzoyl peroxide, and I am sure that this was in at least one of the medicines that you have tried, since it is so common in acne medicines. I would only comment that the gel formulation are more effective than the cream formulations, so if you have not yet tried a benzoyl peroxide gel, that would be appropriate.

Another option would be the use of a topical retinoid. There are several available, but the primary one used by doctors is Retin-A. It also may help to use various antibiotics, both as topical preparations and pills.

Dietary manipulation has been shown to only help a small percentage of individuals. If it helps you, then it is reasonable to continue, but if no benefit has been seen, that is not surprising. Stress is also a general factor that can exacerbate acne, so general stress relievers, such as regular aerobic exercise or yoga, may help.

If you desire any further information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your time and advice. Sorry that I did not get back to you, I work shifts and I'm also on call so things have been a bit hectic!

Thanks again!