Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi About 18 months ago I have surgery to remove gallbladder

Customer Question

About 18 months ago I have surgery to remove gallbladder that was full of stones. Surgery went well but after that I always have bitter taste in my mouth every morning as I woke up. It was a thick brown mucus when I spit it out.

Went to see GP since last yeat and was given a trial of Omeprazole (one at night for a few months, then 2 at night for a few months, Zantac (2 at night for a few months), then a combination of both, one each for a few months). Nothing got rid of the bitter taste in the mouth in the morning.

There are other symptoms like burping (mostly in the afternoon), heartburns, bloatedness and irregular bowel movements exist but my main problem is this morning bitterness in mouth. On my last dental check, my dentist said that my teeth deteriorates more than normal. (I have a lot of problems with my teeth, but kept on check by a wonderful dentist)

Have had endoscopy done about 4 months ago, evidence of streaky inflammation in antrum and small hiatus hernia.

Referred to Specialist Sister's Clinic 2 months later and prescribed Lansoprazole (one in the morning before food for 1 month. Nothing changed so was advised to take Gaviscon (after meal then not take anything by mouth for 2 hours) while waiting for 2months for another test involving inserting atube through the nose to the stomach and connected to a portable box to record the amount of acid reflux for 24 hours.

Is this something that is normally done? Will it be beneficial to go private to get a second opinion? I heard people talk about acid destroying the lining of oesophagus/throat etc etc?

Thank you for reading and any advise is appreciated

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

Yes, actually I totally agree with this plan.

Basically what is going on is you are having symptoms of acid reflux even when you are on acid medicine. So the question is whether or not you are still producing acid or it is something else that is causing this.

Some people still make acid despite these medicines and some people reflux other things like food, bile salts, etc that can cause this.

Actually this is a highly advanced test and I agree with this plan

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.