Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have just been diagnosed with a double prolapse. Reasonably

I have just been diagnosed with a double prolapse. Reasonably fit, bit overweight, 71. Active if you count dog walking and project managing. Is it too late to go for surgery or should I just put up with it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you clarify what you mean by a double prolapse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vaginal wall collapse front and back

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Elaine. Any other medical conditions and have you discussed this with a surgeon?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No not yet. I am concerned what the success rate of sling type surgery is for a woman of my age. I have private health care but am trying to ascertain what my options are

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Actually the success rate for the various sling procedures--conventional, adjustable, and tension-free slings is very good even in a woman your age. Bladder suspensions without slings are another option, depending on the nature of your prolapse. That said, the option for surgery really depends on the severity of the incontinence and how much it's disrupting your normal daily life. Of course, you'll need to consult a surgeon to see which if any of these options is best for you